[SOLVED! Just buy it, it's worth every cent! ] - Results of Migration Toolkit? Pre-sales questions

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by axxies, Apr 21, 2021.

1. axxies

axxies Member

I purchased the Migration Toolkit a loooong time ago so I guess I have to get it again if I need it now.

The version I used back then, created a migrated target server that didn't look like the source server. There were different IDs on the clients in ISPconfig and what was on the disk. That is pretty annoying when trying to find something where the interface says one thing but in reality it's mapped to something else on the server file system, there is an inconsistency ID wise between what is in ISPC3 and what is on the file system. So I figured I need to get some answers before I renew the license, regarding the Migration Toolkit (or ISPcopy which is an option now I see):

1) What does the migration tool require from the target system? A newly installed ISPconfig3 but without ANY settings!? Ioncube?

2a) When the migration tool copies client IDs and web users from the source server, will the target server get the exact same IDs both in ISPC3 as on disk (so e.g. client ID 1 will result in "/var/www/clients/client1") ?

2b) IF it results in different IDs in ISPC3 resp on disk, can this be avoided in any way, e.g. by pre-creating the clients?

3a) Will web user IDs (which are results of the domain created) be exactly the same on the source server and the target server? (this has bearing to that some of the software we run make use of absolute and full paths
    (YES, I know that we all want to call developers doing that, something not-so-nice :) ) and if it's possible to avoid editing config files of such software, it's of course preferred)

3b) IF it results in different IDs for web users in ISPC3 resp on disk, can this be avoided in any way?

4) What about certificates on the target server? Since the certificates are based on the IP of the server, then I must assume that for servers where "SSL" and "Let's Encrypt" are ticket on the source server, the "Let's Encrypt" on the target server will not be ticked while "SSL" and redirects can still be ticked and set, or? Should the IP addresses (A records in DNS) be changed before the actual migration so that the Migration tool can generate the certificates?
    (since it will require a DNS change to update the IP for the domain names)

5) Will everything be migrated/copied from the source server to the target server, that is, not just the stuff that is part of the ISPC3 installation, e.g. scripts, software, or will I have to do that myself?

6) Will every setting related to ISPC3, e.g. PHP versions, be migrated/copied from the source server to the target server including what is in /etc/apt/source.list (or whatever in that directory or rather subdir)? If not, will just the settings be migrated/copied and that there will be a list of software that is required by these settings (e.g. PHP versions) that needs to be installed on the target server?

I guess that's it. :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    ahrasis likes this.
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Migration tool uses the same ID:s on TARGET server unless the ID is already taken. So migrating to an empty TARGET server results in same ID everywhere.
    They are not.
    The TARGET should use the same Let's Encrypt client as the SOURCE, then certificates work right away. Otherwise it may be necessary to recreate the certificates with the new client before they expire.
    TARGET is not exact copy or SOURCE. You have to do that yourself.
    No.
    No. But you can edit those files yourself.
    Use ISPConfig autoinstaller, it installs all versions of PHP automatically so the TARGET websites can use the same PHP version.

axxies likes this.
  3. axxies

axxies Member

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A server set up according to one of the Perfect Server guide, e.g. the latest which uses the autoinstaller. It can contain existing data (the tool can be used to merge systems). But in that case the ID's can change.
    The tool asks you if you want to try keeping the existing ID's (for all kinds of items, like clients, webs, etc).

See answer 1 :)

The certificates aren't based on the IP of the server. When usng the migration tool, you can let it copy over the existing LE certs. For that, you need to use the same Let's Encrypt client on both servers (Certbot/acme.sh). If you have just a few websites and currently use certbot, it's best tnot to copy over the certs and let it generate new ones after the migration is done. For this, the DNS A/AAAA records need to point to the new system (keep the propagation in mind).

You have to copy over special configs yourself.

If you set up the PHP versions on the new server with the same name, it should take over that setting, But you have to install those PHP versions yourself first.

axxies likes this.
  5. axxies

axxies Member

The source server is Debian 9 Stretch while the target server is Debian 10 Buster. The first is certbot, the second is acme. So it appears that it's better to not copy the certs then?

(I actually thought that the IP address was part of validating the authencity of the site, hence my assumption that the IP was important for the certificates)

So if I install all the versions I have on the source server, but on the target server, the settings per site will be migrated too?

What would you recommend me to use, the migration tool or ISPcopy?

6. Th0m

How many sites do you have?
    The IP is not stored with the certificate, but is used in the verification process as you have to proof you own the domain :)
    It should be.
    ISPCopy is used to copy a full installation from one server to the other, the migration tool is used to migrate data to a new system.

axxies likes this.
  7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can not use ISPCopy, for that you need the same OS on SOURCE and TARGET. You have Debian 9 on SOURCE, Debian 10 on TARGET, so not the same.
    Migration tool does work with different OS.

axxies likes this.
  8. axxies

axxies Member

Ok! Thank you!

9. axxies

axxies Member

About 70

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The same OS means the same distribution, so you can't switch from Debian to e.g. CentOS. Using ISPCopy would be possible as long as both OS are Debian, some config file adjustments are needed though if the version is not the same. But it is recommended to use the Migration Tool in most cases as it#s much more versatile, ISPCopy is mainly needed when you have to move a slave node of a multiserver system to a new hardware while keeping it connected to the master, that's something that only ISPCopy can do and not the Migration Tool.

As explanation, both tools use different approaches for the migration. The Migration Tool basically imports data into the new system, this means you can select what you want to migrate, e.g. only a specific client, you can use it to merge servers, change the Linux distribution etc. But it can't be used for moving slave servers. The approach ISPCopy is using is that it just copies the relevant config files, databases, website data, mail data, shell users and ISPConfig itself to the new system by SSH. So it can not do partial migrations and using a different distribution won't work as well as config files might be named differently or are located in different folders.

atle, ahrasis, axxies and 1 other person like this.
  11. Th0m

It is doable within the Let's Encrypt ratelimits. But you have to enable LE for every site on the new server.

axxies likes this.
  12. axxies

axxies Member

It's probably easier to let acme generate new certs. It seems that the certs are now not in /etc/letsencrypt/... but in /root/...
    Not sure though, I haven't looked into it that much

13. Th0m

Yes, it is. And yes, acme.sh uses /root/.acme.sh instead of /etc/letsencrypt.

axxies likes this.
  14. axxies

axxies Member

Just a final review of the Migration Toolkit.

There was a time a long time ago when I wasn't too happy with the Migration Tool. If I remember it correctly, it was lack of consistency between what was client IDs and web user IDs on disk and in ISPC3. I see now that it was version 1.6.12 back then. Now, with this version V2.2.3 (and probably earlier versions of V2.x too), all that is changed.

Before I purchased this script, I did a manual migration to ensure that the IDs were consistent on disk and in ISPC3. Then when everything was done after some days and I rebooted both the target VPS and the virtualization engine, I got an error with the disk which destroyed the entire migration (YES, I know that it was stupid to not have any RAID), it actually made me feel crushed (semi-noob warning here! :) ) hence that I turned back to the forums here regarding the Migration Toolkit to ask these questions.

This script, the Migration Toolkit, is an AMAZING piece of software. Just execute it, answer a few questions, setup a remote user, open up for root access, and GO. When I got back at the terminal after some hours, it was all done AND the IDs on disk and in ISPC was just like they should be, identical to the source server.

You can buy this tool (and actually I would recommend you to buy it!) knowing that it works so good. Don't waste your time doing a manual migration. This Migration Toolkit works awesome and is soooooooooooo much worth every cent, not to mention the support given here (but you all know that the people at these forums are one of a kind).

[EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also tried the resync feature for databases and emails and it worked like a charm too. Don't hesitate in purchasing this script.]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Croydon, Th0m and till like this.