dns server move failure

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by primesoftnz, Apr 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

I'm running a six server cluster including 3 dns servers.
    After many years of running on VMware I've started to make the move to openstack.
    The least risky start was to convert my 2nd dns slave which was successful in that I have a working server that appears not to be giving any errors.
    I opened the firewall to dns and ssh and I can query the server externally.
    I made a change to a DNS record (namely the one that points to itself because it's external IP necessarily had to change) to test it updates, and it doesn't. I changed all the hosts files to also point to it, still no joy.
    I queried the database and dns_rr table is not being updated, and of course the bind zone file is consistent with the database. (wrong) It's counterpart slave dns server I haven't moved still works perfectly.
    Before I go converting anymore VMs in the cluster is there a diagnostic technique someone can point me to to check why it isn't updating?
    I'm running debian buster and currently on Ispconfig 3.2.2.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

Having followed the first part of this and noting some config issues with my webserver, I saved some changes.
    It appears to write to a file /etc/apache2/sites-available/apps.vhost
    This breaks apache with reference to LISTEN 8081
    ######################################################
    # This virtual host contains the configuration
    # for the ISPConfig apps vhost
    ######################################################

Listen 8081
    # NameVirtualHost *:8081

<VirtualHost _default_:8081>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

Any Ideas what is causing this? I can comment out the Listen directive and apache will start again, but any changes and the file is rewritten and it breaks again

4. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Check with ISPConfig manual the "MySQL root user records in the master database for every slave server hostname and IP address." It is on page 28 in my copy.

6. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

I had already been into phpmyadmin and changed the IP. The manual refers to "root" not "ispcsrv11" as user, also the IP is a gateway not the slave dns server IP. First I gave it the servers IP now I'm trying the gateway, or do I add both?
    I'm looking for the right command to run on the master to give the correct privileges to, in this case "ispcsvr11"

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

8. till

To update permissions of the ispcsrv* users, do an ispconfig update on the affected slave server and choose to reconfigure permissions in master database during update.

9. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

Opps no that didn't work afterall.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  10. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

Please note this slave is on a different network. The IP the DNS record for this server is different to what mysql sees queries coming in from. Do both IP's now need to be in the master?

11. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

now up to 14 stuck updates
    upload_2021-5-10_22-18-22.png

12. till

Did you configure the hostnames of the master and alls slave servers in the /etc/hosts files of all nodes as described in the multiserver guides? That's required and the DNS records do not matter then.

13. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

Yes, the hosts files were the first thing I changed.

14. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

the moved server is also not having update status read by the master. ns3 is updated and on ispconfig 3.2.4
    upload_2021-5-11_7-44-16.png

15. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please share the content of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf for this problem.

What is the output of
    Code:
    /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh

16. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

root@ns3:~# crontab -e
    No modification made
    root@ns3:~# /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
    10.05.2021-20:05 - DEBUG - Calling function 'os_update' from plugin 'software_update_plugin' raised by action 'os_update'.
    10.05.2021-20:05 - DEBUG - Execeuted Debian / Ubuntu update
    10.05.2021-20:05 - WARNING - Falsche Anfrage / Wrong QuerySQL-Query = UPDATE sys_remoteaction SET action_state = 'ok' WHERE action_id = '44' -> 1142 (UPDATE command denied to user 'ispcsrv11'@'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' for table 'sys_remoteaction')
    10.05.2021-20:05 - DEBUG - Remove Lock: /usr/local/ispconfig/server/temp/.ispconfig_lock
    finished server.php.

I had done a reconfigure permissions on upgrading the moved server when upgrading it to 3.2.4 which I thought would fix this. What are ispcsrvXX users suposed to have as permissions?

17. Th0m

Simply redo the update and let it reconfigure the permissions.
    Code:
    ispconfig_update.sh --force

18. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

Repeated the upgrade and still the permissions failure for update by ispcsrv11@gatewayip <--Note this is not the ip of the server.

19. Th0m

Can you share the full output of the update process?

20. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

root@ns3:~# /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
    10.05.2021-20:40 - DEBUG - Calling function 'os_update' from plugin 'software_update_plugin' raised by action 'os_update'.
    10.05.2021-20:40 - DEBUG - Execeuted Debian / Ubuntu update
    10.05.2021-20:40 - WARNING - Falsche Anfrage / Wrong QuerySQL-Query = UPDATE sys_remoteaction SET action_state = 'ok' WHERE action_id = '45' -> 1142 (UPDATE command denied to user 'ispcsrv11'@'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' for table 'sys_remoteaction')
    10.05.2021-20:40 - DEBUG - Remove Lock: /usr/local/ispconfig/server/temp/.ispconfig_lock
    finished server.php.
    root@ns3:~#

To test the ability of the slave to do a remote OS update I initiate from the console to test.