IPv6 block missing from subdomains

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by valentinalisch, Jun 8, 2021.

1. valentinalisch

valentinalisch New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Good morning there.
    First of all I love ISPConfig and a big thanks for providing and actively maintaining it!
    • Debian 10
    • ISPConfig 3.2.4
    • Nginx 1.14.2

I had some trouble recently when adding sub- or alias domains to one of my setups and just figured out why they were not working constantly. I'm guessing it's something about the IPv6 addresses my server is reachable by. When adding a new website everything's sweet and fine and the server block of the website starts with
    Code:
    server {
            listen *:80;
            listen [::]:80;
            listen *:443 ssl http2;

ssl_protocols TLSv1.3 TLSv1.2;
            listen [::]:443 ssl http2;
    and so on.

But when adding a sub- or alias domain the whole [::] part is missing and it just looks like that

Code:
    server {
            listen *:80;
            listen *:443 ssl http2;
    That leads to a problem as the subdomains are not recognized and only the main domain is queried and shown when trying to reach the subdomain. I manually have to enter the missing parts into my .vhost file. But that will be overwritten each time I update anything in ISPConfig resulting in troubles again until I manually insert the parts again.

Do you know why that's happening / what I'm missing here / what I'm doing wrong?
    Help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot and kind regards,
    Valentin

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Context clues tell me you are using nginx ;) but it would be good to share info on your system with us: Which OS are you using, which webserver, what is your ISPConfig version... etc.
    What kind of sub-/alias-domain are you adding? Normal, or vhost sub-/alias-domains?

3. valentinalisch

Of course, I'm sorry – was a little too excited this morning after figuring out what's going on.
    Also updated the original question.
    • Debian 10
    • ISPConfig 3.2.4
    • Nginx 1.14.2

I'm adding regular subdomains by using the subdomain menu located on the left in ISPConfig.

The whole server setup and ISPConfig are relatively new, like two weeks old.
    One thing that always stroke me as odd in this installation that I cannot select an IPv6 address when adding a new vhost but figured that this might be normal in the latest ISPConfig release and I just haven't been using it so far.

See screenshots attached for the subdomain setup as well as the vhost itself.
    (Subdomain type is actually irrelevant. It happens for all of them)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you add IPv6 addresses under System > Server IP? An IPv6 select can only be chosen there if you added it under System > Server IP.

5. valentinalisch

Yes of course :)

6. till

Works fine here, see screenshot. Maybe you assigned the IP addresses to a client or wrong client or a wrong server?

2021-06-08 12_05_30-ISPConfig.png

7. valentinalisch

None of the IP addresses is attached to a client and as far as I can see the IPv4 and IPv6 are configured the same.
    Just noticed that I can't select IPv4 address either – just the wildcard. Is there a wildcard setting for IPv6 too?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-08 um 12.11.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-08 um 12.11.41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-08 um 12.11.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-08 um 12.15.15.png

8. till

looks to me as if you clicked in the IP address field in the last screenshot and not the ipv6 address field.

9. valentinalisch

PS: Do you think that the misbehaving subdomain configuration is related to this?

10. valentinalisch

Yes haha, I did that on purpose to show that the IPv4 address isn't showing up either.

11. till

The problem is that you did not enable the 'NameVirtualhost' option in IP settings.

valentinalisch likes this.
  12. till

Regarding IPv6 wildcard, I was able to reproduce that now. But it's not that there is some config missing which was there before you added the subdomains. The redirects have their own server section which lacks ipv6 wildcard, the ipv6 wildcard setting in the website vhost itself is still there.

13. till

14. valentinalisch

That makes total sense. I have no idea though why that was deactivated in the first place – thanks!

That's perfect! Thanks a lot. I will try that in about an hour :)

15. valentinalisch

Worked perfectly.
    Thanks a bunch! <3

till likes this.