Issues updating from Ubuntu 18.04 to Ubuntu 20.04

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob White, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Bob White

Bob White Member

I followed the instructions in the guide and updated ISPConfig. It completed successfully when I took the defaults on the prompts. I ran ispconfig_update.sh --force, took all the default prompts, and that completed with no apparent errors. However, I'm still getting a blank screen when I try to bring up the ISPConfig interface.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

So at this point, port 80 and 443 sites work, just port 8080 is an issue? Is apache listening on 8080? Any errors in either your browser console or webserver error.log? (Same errors as before, or they have changed?) Have you tried another browser or incognito mode?

3. Bob White

Bob White Member

That is correct - port 8080 is an issue. Apache is listening:
    upload_2021-9-8_14-1-6.png
    I primarily use Firefox, but have tried it with Chrome and incognito mode as well. I have also cleared the browser cache.
    Here's what the browser console says. The screen is completely blank, with no errors displayed.
    upload_2021-9-8_14-6-30.png

4. Bob White

Bob White Member

5. Jesse Norell

Ok, what shows up in the web server error.log when you get this 500 Internal Server Error?

6. Bob White

Bob White Member

7. Bob White

Bob White Member

Is there any hope for fixing ISPConfig? I made a clean installation on another hard drive, starting completely from a new 20.04 server installation and following everything in the guide. Everything seems to work, but of course the configuration is empty and all my files and emails are on the other server. I've tried to go through the configuration files and everything *seems* to be the same. The apache configuration files are the same. Apache serves Roundcube and Phpmyadmin fine - it just won't serve ISPConfig.
    Any suggestions on where to go from here?
    Thanks,
    Bob

8. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Strange indeed because it likes something is blocking your port 8080 as it works just fine for port 8081.

Personally I am not sure ISPConfig needs fixing since my upgrades all went just fine and I guess many others went fine too.

From what I can see from your logs in your newly built server, it seems you only have self-signed ssl, you got your python version mismatched, and may be wrong php version on your cli, so my question is: did you use the ISPConfig official tutorial with automatic installation script or others?

I am going to do some new installations of Ubuntu 20.04 servers soon and though I doubt I will be facing with the same problems, but I will report them here anyway.

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I doubt that anything in ISPConfig needs to be fixed like @ahrasis mentioned. I've installed it recently on Ubuntu 20.04 and everything works perfectly, so it's more likely to be an issue in your system or your network than an issue in ISPConfig.

That's to be expected as such an URL does not exist in ISPConfig.

That URL is opk, but normally you would use just https://fileserver:8080. A blank screen is an indication for a broken PHP setup or wrong PHP version on your system.

Please post the result of:

php --version

and run the test script:

https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/please-read-before-posting.58408/

and post the results.

10. Bob White

Bob White Member

Ahrasis, that wasn't the NEW server, those were the errors from the Apache log on the old server.

Bob

11. Bob White

Bob White Member

Till,
    Here's the PHP version:
    Code:
    php --version
    PHP 7.4.3 (cli) (built: Aug 13 2021 05:39:12) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.4.0, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
        with Zend OPcache v7.4.3, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies
    I've attached the output of the test script.
    Thanks for the help!
    Bob

Attached Files:

12. Bob White

Bob White Member

And here's the Linux kernel version:
    Linux fileserver 5.4.0-84-generic #94-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 26 20:27:37 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    And the version of Ubuntu:
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
    Release:        20.04
    Codename:       focal

13. till

Check the global apache error.log file for errors.

14. Bob White

Bob White Member

An error repeated over and over is this:
    Code:
    require_once(): Failed opening required '../lib/config.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/index.php on line 31
    If it's looking for it in /usr/share/php/lib - then yes, that path doesn't exist. There is no lib folder in /usr/share/php.
    If it's looking for config.inc.php in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib - it should be able to find that - it is there.
    I've attached the Apache error log.
    upload_2021-9-11_20-25-4.png

Thanks,
    Bob

Attached Files:

15. till

Try to run the commands:

sudo a2enmod suexec rewrite ssl actions include cgi alias proxy_fcgi
    service apache2 restart

and try again to open the ISPConfig UI.

16. Bob White

Bob White Member

Till, after executing those commands, I'm still getting a blank screen - no login prompt.

upload_2021-9-12_10-4-1.png

17. Jesse Norell

See if ispconfig can read that file, eg.
    Code:
    sudo -u ispconfig ls -l /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php
    Is any part of the path (or /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web) a symbolic link? What is in your /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.conf and /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.vhost?

18. Bob White

Bob White Member

It should be able to read the file:
    upload_2021-9-13_12-35-59.png

I went all the way back to /usr and worked my way down to the interfaces folder, and none of the folders are symlinked anywhere along the way.

upload_2021-9-13_12-38-3.png

I've attached copies of both files.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Attached Files:

19. Jesse Norell

It should, but maybe test that it actually can and you don't get an error (eg. filesystem corruption or apparmor type restriction?)

What php version are you using there? (update-alternatives --display php-cgi)

20. Bob White

Bob White Member

It seems to have no problems reading the file:
    Code:
    root@fileserver:/srv/samba/bob/1Scans# sudo -u ispconfig cat /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php | more
    <?php
    /*
    Copyright (c) 2007 - 2013, Till Brehm, projektfarm Gmbh
    All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
    are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
          this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
        * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
          this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
          and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
        * Neither the name of ISPConfig nor the names of its contributors
          may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
          specific prior written permission.
    <and so forth>
    Code:
    root@fileserver:/usr/local/ispconfig# update-alternatives --display php-cgi
    php-cgi - auto mode
      link best version is /usr/bin/php-cgi7.0
      link currently points to /usr/bin/php-cgi7.0
      link php-cgi is /usr/bin/php-cgi
      slave php-cgi.1.gz is /usr/share/man/man1/php-cgi.1.gz
    /usr/bin/php-cgi7.0 - priority 70
      slave php-cgi.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/php-cgi7.0.1.gz