Help! Virtual Users/Domains with Postfix for FC5 - Outgoing Email Thru Multiple IP's

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by dabest80, Sep 26, 2006.

1. dabest80

dabest80 New Member

I was able to get my email server working correctly, but I would like to be able to send outgoing email through a specified IP address and Hostname for each specific virtual domain. Right now, all of my email from the virtual domains are being sent via 1 IP and Hostname.

I have a feeling that if I decided to go live with this server all of the emails sent via these domains would be tagged as spam or bounced due to incorrect IP address and domain name sender information. What can I do to fix this? Can I create a new column and specify in my MySQL domains table the correct outgoing information for Postfix to use?

I can't find any help regarding this.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can bind Postfix to a specific IP for sending mails with this configuration directive in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

Code:
    smtp_bind_address = [I]<your IP address>[/I]

3. dabest80

dabest80 New Member

Do you have any experience running multipled instances of postfix or multiple processes with different IP's binded to each. I would like each domain to go out of a different IP address and hostname on my configuration. I've seen that it can be done using Sender Based Routing, but is there a better way of doing it or is it reliable?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'm sorry, but I've never tried to do something like that because I'm not sure what this is good for. :confused:

5. dabest80

dabest80 New Member

Thanks Falko. In order to keep my 4 different separate companies' identification private (so they're not being identified out of the same IP address and mail server domain name), I need to be able to route outgoing emails based on the sender's domain through different IP's. It's obvious in the email headers that mail from "[email protected]" is being routed through "mail.aaa.com" (if "mail.aaa.com" was the primary binded ip address for PostFix). I need "[email protected]" to be routed through a virtual IP, "mail.bbb.com" instead.

It's important that they stay separate for the purpose of identity. I could change all of the MX records for each domain to point to the same outgoing mail server, but that would defeat the purpose of identity which is crucial to our business. Our identity is crucial to the competitive edge that our market requires.

I found an article about SBR in PostFix at http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/postfix_sbr.html

There is still alot of gray area though because I have 4 virtual domains that I need 4 different outgoing routes for. Does anyone have any experience with Sender Based Routing or can anyone suggess another open source alternative to PostFix? I reckon that QMail is always an option. I believe that Sender Based Routing is allowed in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated?