Updating a server from Debian X to Debian X+1

Discussion in 'General' started by calbasi, Nov 17, 2021.

1. calbasi

calbasi Member

Until now, when one of my servers has an OS unsupported, like nowadays is Debian 9, I migrate all my websites to a new server, with a newer version of Debian (10/11). I migrate them one by one (now I'm considering using Migrating Tool).
    I don't just upgrade my "old" Debian because I think it could have missconfigurations, old config files/permissions that generate a "tech debt" and become problems in the future.
    What do you think about it?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Debian update process supports release upgrade to the next release, that is Debian 9 can be upgraded to Debian 10. This works well provided the updating instructions from Release Notes are followed.
    I would consider doing it the way you describe if upgrading from Debian 9 to Debian 11, that is skipping a release. Your way may be easier that upgrading 9 -> 10, then 10 -> 11.

3. calbasi

calbasi Member

So, in your experience, Ispconfig services are not disturbed by a Debian release upgrade, are they?

4. Taleman

No, if following Debian upgrade instructions and ISPConfig upgrade instructions, and doing the ISPConfig Perfect Server Guide for the upgraded to Debian release and forcing ISPConfig to reconfigure services after all this is done.

5. calbasi

calbasi Member

OK, so in my understanding there are 4 steps:

1) Debian upgrade
    2) Ispconfig upgrade
    3) doing the ISPConfig Perfect Server Guide for the upgraded to Debian release
    4)
    Ispconfig reconfiguration services

Right? Is this procedure documented anywhere (even these 4 steps). I think it would be useful to have this "guide".

6. Taleman

I do not know of such guide. The procedure is described in this forum on several threads, but there is no authoritative definitive guide that I know of.

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Step 2 and 4 are the same; leave out 2. Ie. After the Debian upgrade, run through the perfect server guide for your new os version, then update ispconfig afterwards to reconfigure services. Note if the installer warns you about having custom templates and either rename them or integrate your customizations again as needed.

8. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

hello, we are planning to upgrade our multi server setup from debian 10 vm to debian 11, do you have an how to or procedure to follow , advice us ?
    or is it safe to just do an standard debian os upgrade ?
    thank you,

note : we already migrate ispconfig to last release.

9. Taleman

This thread is a good starting point.
    Follow Debian release upgrade instructions, then follow ISPConfig Perfect Server Guide for Debian 11 to get all the needed packages installed and configurations done. Then force ISPConfig upgrade to reconfigure services.

ledufakademy likes this.
  10. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

Hello, Taleman

so , if i sum up :
    1. Do a standard Debian 10 to 11 upgrade,
    2. Then follow : ISPConfig Perfect Server Guide for Debian 11 (where do you find this one ?),
    3. ISPConfig upgrade to reconfigure services (even if it was done 4 days before),
    4. Login to ISPConfig, go to "system" > "server config and" change the PHP version number in all PHP related paths to 7.4 wherever it occurs

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

correct

There is no such guide yet (my fault as one normally uses the auto-installer now that supports Debian 11, I'll try to write the missing guide), but basically what's most important is that you install PHP and the required PHP packages. Get the apt-get install command that installs PHP and its packages from the debian 10 guide, replace the version numbers in the packages names with 7.4 and run the command and you should be ready to go.

There is one 4. step at the end, login to ISPConfig, go to system > server config and change the PHP version umber in all PHP related paths to 7.4 wherever it occurs.

brainsys, ledufakademy and ahrasis like this.
  12. brainsys

brainsys Member

My Debian 10 servers have 7.4 & 8.1 as additional PHP versions using the sury repositories. Do I assume from this I have to change 'default' version to 7.4 and not re-install it?

13. Taleman

If by standard you mean following the Debian upgrade instructions from relase notes then yes.
    Whether ISPConfig is up to date or not is irrelevant. You must force upgrade so the reconfigure services gets done, so ispconfig_update.sh --force.

14. Taleman

Yes.

15. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ledufakademy likes this.
  16. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

Th0m likes this.