pure-ftpd does not support passwords with explicit rounds

Discussion in 'General' started by vit9696, Dec 30, 2021.

1. vit9696

vit9696 New Member

Hello,

I have a similar issue to https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/pure-ftpd-mysql-passwords-hash-not-working.83283/, however, here the only difference is the amount of rounds specified in the SHA-512 hash. If the passwords are specified in $6$HASH "roundless" format, then they work. If they are specified in $6$rounds=5000$HASH "roundful" format, then they do not work.

I verified that by manually checking that the password is valid against each hash (roundless and roundful) and by manually updating the roundful account password with the roundless version and getting login success.

The operating system is Debian 10, pure-ftpd is set to use MySQL crypt function. MySQL is 15.1 Distrib 10.3.31-MariaDB. ISPConfig is 3.2.7p1.

I believe it is ISPConfig that updated the passwords to an incompatible format, since I have few accounts created manually, and their hash format previously matched the ones ISPConfig created. Now these entries are the only ones left with this roundless format, and they are also the only working ones. To clarify, updating ISPConfig-managed pure-ftpd entry with a roundless hash does make login succeed.

Please address the issue by reverting to a roundless format in a subsequent update or provide a way to make pure-ftpd work with roundful formats. Thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Passwords with rounds specified in the hash as done by ISPConfig work fine here on my Debian 10 system in pure-ftpd. The more likely reason is that you hit an issue with specific umlauts that might cause issues in ISPConfig password hashes: https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/issues/6189 which might apply to ftp users too. So the reason why the passwords work when creating them manually is probably because they contained and umlaut and you created them manually and not because the rounds definition is not used.

3. vit9696

vit9696 New Member

Hi Till, that was very helpful indeed. I checked the passwords, and discovered that the problematic one I have access to contains an ! symbol. Once I removed it and updated the password I was able to log in. To my defence, the password was generated by ISPConfig.