ISPConfig 3.2.7 - Is a PTR Record Necessary?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by FutureX, Feb 17, 2022.

1. FutureX

FutureX New Member

I have everything setup and running great, 5 domains, email, etc. all working very smoothly. Then I come across some information that I don't have rDNS setup which would make things even more secure. My domains are housed with Google Domains using their name servers. I've looked at a bunch of articles on setting up the PTR record but it's still very confusing to me. 1) Do you really need the rDNS? 2) is there a simple way to set that up with my current config? VPS with GoDaddy, Domains with Google Domains using their nameservers. I know I could setup nameservers on my VPS but only if I need to or if it will really benefit me.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

1. Do you really need the rDNS? It depends. Where do you assume you might need it? You do need it for e-mail server if you want to set it up properly.
    2. is there a simple way to set that up with my current config? Usually it is not possible to use own name servers for rDNS. rDNS runs on your providers name servers, the place where you got your IP-numbers from. Contact them to set up reverse name service for your IP.
    My signature has link to tutorial about name service setup. It tries to explain rDNS also when not using own name servers.

Th0m likes this.
  3. FutureX

FutureX New Member

Thank you for the reply! Yes this would be for the e-mail server. I just called GoDaddy and they said that is not something they do and I would have to do it on my end. When I do the host command with the IP number it comes back with the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer (and then the generic host hame that GoDaddy initially assigned me) ip-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.ip.secureserver.net.

4. Aeon112

Aeon112 New Member

look at the Webinterface from your provider, often there is an Option to change the PTR Record by yourself.

5. FutureX

FutureX New Member

I checked that out, it only works with dedicated servers not VPSs

6. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Seems like GoDaddy doesn't support it, so it's not a good idea to run your mailserver there.

7. Aeon112

Aeon112 New Member

Or use an external Mail Relay server to Send your Mails.