Sub Domain Creation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by main3, Sep 11, 2006.

1. main3

main3 New Member

Sub Domain Creation

I have a customer requesting the ability to create some sub domains. Is this possible with ISPconfig and would any one have the how to. This subject does not seem to be noted in the ISPconfig user guide. I tried it several ways with no success.

Thank you

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Go to the co-domain tab, click on new and enter the details for the new subdomain. Thats all :)

3. main3

main3 New Member

DNS and MX

Do I need to check mark these features.

I did try all of these option with no results.

On Co Domain TAb.
    Click on New
    What do I enter in Host. ia it www
    Domain: test.qcrev.com (original domain is qcrev.com)
    Do I select Create DNS and Create DNS MX

Or do I just enter the domain feild test.qcrev.com and save.

4. torusturtle

torusturtle Member

the Host value is used for the subdomain
    For example if you want to have sub.domain.tld you have to fill "sub" into Host and "domain.tld" into Domain field.

I use an external DNS Server but I guess you would have to check Create DNS. You don't need Create MX as your email stays [email protected] and not [email protected]

5. drum

drum New Member

Well I've managed to set mine up, so that email to [email protected] works, and [email protected] also works by setting both up as 2 seperate web sites. This was my intention. However I can only view the site at sub.domain.tld by entering that in explorer, if I enter www.sub.domain.tld it doesn't work. Anybody got any ideas??

6. zitch

zitch New Member

Try putting www.sub into host and the other settings the same as for sub.domain.tld.

7. drum

drum New Member

Tried that, but it complains that, the domains belongs to another site. I suspect actually the problem may be with my external name server (freeparking.co.uk) as they let me have entries for www.xxx.com and yyy.xxx.com but aren't allowing me an entry for www.yyy.xxx.com

8. drum

drum New Member

Infact if I set my nameserver on my local machine to point to my ispconfig, it works fine, so I suspect it is a problem at my external name server, looks like it's time for them to go :cool:

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You should consider this if they don't allow you to create records like www.yyy.xxx.com.