Ispconfig 3 web portal not working

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by paranoico, Jun 20, 2022.

1. paranoico

paranoico New Member

After moving our ispconfig servers to another bare metal server, web portal is not working in any of the servers.
    Just a "page does not exist" or a blank page is shown.
    We updated one of the servers, but did not work either.
    We use apache but not sure what else to check, servers are Debian 7 (old servers), we fixed some messages when executing php and that is all.
    We need to change some DNS records, we did it on the database, but change seems to not be updated, is there someway to force the DNS update from command line?

Thanks in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

How did you move the installation to the new server?
    Did you install the new server as shown in the perfect server guides before moving over the installation?
    Which exact errors do you get in apache error.log when you access ISPConfig GUI?

No, only from ISPConfig GUI. But you can access the ISPConfig GUI by IP, so no DNS changes are needed upfront.

3. paranoico

paranoico New Member

We backed up the VM and restored it on the new server. We reconfigured VM MAC and other things. ISPConfig seems to be working since we can access all the services correctly. The VM has Debian 7 and was originally configured using the perfect server guide years ago.
    The errors shown by Apache are:

[Mon Jun 20 07:55:29 2022] [warn] [client 187.191.48.251] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: require_once(/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/index.php on line 31
    [Mon Jun 20 07:55:29 2022] [warn] [client 187.191.48.251] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '../lib/config.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/index.php on line 31

If we try to access ISPConfig GUI by IP, same errors arise.
    How do we configure the file permissions?
    Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is your default php the right shipped version?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess it's more likely that your PHP runs as the wrong user (e.g. because suexec module is not installed) and not that the issue is the file permissions (unless you changed them manually). Please post the result of:

ls -la /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php

The thing that makes me wonder is why you have issues at all as you did not move ISPConfig, you moved a VM and that should not alter the installation in any way, which means that there are no changes required to get it working on the new server node.

6. paranoico

paranoico New Member

Yes, PHP is the right very old version.

Exactly, suexec was somehow erased, I discovered that binary was not anymore installed in the VM.
    Tried to reinstall it, but not found the old package in the repositories. Not even in archives.
    So I also wonder how it was removed and when.

The final workaround was to change the user of ISPConfig web interface to www-data, I know this is a very bad practice, but it worked and we could then change the DNS settings successfully.

I am going to push to upgrade those old Debian 7 VMs ASAP, to get rid of the weird behavior. We had our apps stopped on monday morning for 2 customers.

Thanks a lot for you time and help.