Apache won't start after SSL installation.

Discussion in 'General' started by Wade John Beckett, Jun 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Wade John Beckett

Wade John Beckett Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi there,
    I trust you are well.

I recently added a site to my ISPConfig installation. I selected SSL and Let's Encrypt options, at which point Apache stopped working and none of the sites will load.
    I have tried:
    ./acme.sh --renew-all --force but the certificates won't renew because Apache won't load.
    Error log shows only AH00016: Configuration Failed

● apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2022-06-28 16:31:12 SAST; 11s ago
    Docs: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/
    Process: 11258 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apachectl start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 28 16:31:11 my systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...
    Jun 28 16:31:12 my apachectl[11273]: AH00548: NameVirtualHost has no effect and will be removed in the next release /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.vhost:7
    Jun 28 16:31:12 my apachectl[11258]: Action 'start' failed.
    Jun 28 16:31:12 my apachectl[11258]: The Apache error log may have more information.
    Jun 28 16:31:12 my systemd[1]: apache2.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Jun 28 16:31:12 my systemd[1]: apache2.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jun 28 16:31:12 my systemd[1]: Failed to start The Apache HTTP Server.

Please help.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Delete the symlink to the site's vhost file (the site you just created) in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ and then restart apache. Then check under System > interface > main config if you might have disabled the apache config check.

Wade John Beckett likes this.
  3. Wade John Beckett

The first part worked. Thank you so much.
    Regarding the second part, I don't see an option for apache config check. I see a "Strict Check" under DNS CA's for Let's Encrypt. Is that what you are referring to?

4. till

I meant this option, sorry for not mentioning the exact terms.

2022-06-28 17_24_54-ISPConfig.png

Wade John Beckett likes this.
  5. Wade John Beckett

Interestingly, these settings are checked as shown above, but the same occurs when I try to reinstall the certificate.

My guess is that the certificate is failing for the new install and is bringing apache down?

6. till

Yes, but ispconfig should be able to detect this and revert to the last working config. This probably means that there is no last working config to revert to. ISPConfig debug mode can show you the details of what#s going on.