iptables

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by aolex, Oct 15, 2005.

1. aolex

aolex New Member

a simple iptables tutorial with examples . configure a firewall , dhcp server etc. ...
    that would be very usefull ! :D

2. themachine

themachine ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

New Iptables How-To

I just wrote up a basic iptables how-to with examples.

http://www.howtoforge.com/node/450

[dierkes.themachine]

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

4. aolex

aolex New Member

hey thank you very much ! i really like this site :D
    PS : is it posible to have a DHCP server using iptables ?

anyway , great tutorial ! will help a lot ;)

5. themachine

I'm always happy to help! ;)

Now, I'm not sure exactly what you mean about iptables for a DHCP server. You need to install a DHCP server separately. For Debian, you would do the following:

Code:
    # apt-get update && apt-get install dhcp3-server
    if your not using Debian.... then you should be! ;)

And then I believe the config files are in '/etc/dhcp3'... but I have very minimal experience with that.

6. killfrog

killfrog New Member

TheMachine, Falko, pay attention...

I added a comment to the basic IPTABLES walkthrough, perhaps you can include it as a part of the walkthrough?
    That will be easier to reach, I don't know if they really read the comments.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can write themachine a private message through this forum. He wrote the howto. :)

8. themachine

As all of the comments to the howto are "anonymous" I am not sure which comment you are talking about. Please send me a message as Falko mentioned.

9. themachine

KillFrog...

I read your comment, and think the script would work great. However, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be best to leave the howto as is... with your addition left as a comment (which will be seen).

The reason being, I've attempted to present iptables the 'Debian' way. Though having an init script such as yours would be awesome, and ease administration... its still a custom script. I think understanding how the Debian init script functions, save/reloads rules, etc is important to know... and then, after that, finding what works for you with customization.

I did add a "Reader Additions" section, with a breif discription of your comment... as well as a link to it.

Thank you for you for adding that, I think alot of people will find that useful.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  10. killfrog

killfrog New Member

well...

I think you're absolutely right and the idea of changing the howto is not so good, specially after understanding what was your main purpose.
    So, I agree with you, that the "customization" of iptables should stay there, as an added reference to the original HOWTO, which is great, in my opinion.
    Keep up the good work!
    Ziv