Debian 11 with MySQL 8

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by adam314315, Sep 29, 2022.

1. adam314315

adam314315 New Member

Hello,

Does anyone succeeded to install ISP Config with last version of Debian 11 and MySQL 8 (instead of Maria DB) ? According to the ISP documentation and some discussions it is possible but I couldn't find any tutorial or instructions regarding the installation.

So far I tried uninstalling the default Maria DB and install MySQL and then install on top ISP Config but it didn't work and an error occured with ISP Config install while trying to setup the database. So any idea will be much appreciated.

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Why do you want to use it instead of the default mariadb which supported out of box with ISPConfig Auto Installer?

3. adam314315

adam314315 New Member

Why don't oracle simply stop developing MySQL then also ? Maybe because some people have already technology stacks built on top of MySQL 8 and that there are many differences on the 2 softwares with usage.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If Oracle would not be such a genius to change the way MySQL users and authentication work continuously, then we would not have to adapt ISPConfig constantly.

Th0m and ahrasis like this.
  5. adam314315

adam314315 New Member

Yes agree also with that comment. Unfortunately I am not sure they have plans to change anytime soon.

6. till

Yes, I guess that's quite unlikely that it will become better. So as usual, we will have to find out again what has been changed and add another section to the installer based on the database version info. If I remember correctly, we have already 2 or 3 different ways in there on how to add MySQL and MariaDB users.

7. adam314315

adam314315 New Member

I noticed in the installer script that some old versions of Debian add the 2 options MariaDB and MySQL. Would you have a documentation or describe shortly the potential steps to setup ISPConfig 3 with MySQL 8 then instead of MariaDB under Debian 11?

8. till

Most likely this requires changing the ISPConfig code and the installer code as well. And without these changes, you can not use the MySQL 8 version that currently fails, older MySQL 8 versions did work if I remember correctly, so this is probably not an issue about MySQL 8 in general, it's an issue about latest MySQL 8 versions. The procedure would then by to install MySQL 8 instead of MariaDB, nothing else. But as mentioned, this requires most likely changes in ISPConfig.

9. adam314315

adam314315 New Member

Ok I understand. Thanks for clarification. I will try then to work it on my side or wait for the potential update if I cannot succed.

10. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I really think it is not worth it for one to wait for latest MySQL 8 to be supported or to try using it instead of the supported default MariaDB in an ISPConfig server after reading @till's clarifications.