Debian, ISPConfig 3.0.3.3, mod_fcgi+suExec, PHP not showing errors

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by radim_h, Oct 20, 2011.

1. radim_h

radim_h Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,

maybe somebody can give me some advice.

i have started migrate pages from ISPC2 to ISPC3, all new pages are created under mod_fcgi + SuEXEC

Now i have a problem, webpages are not showing any php errors
    it doesnt matter what i set in
    /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini or /etc/php5/apache2/php.in section error_reporting
    any of choices
    Default Value: E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
    Development Value: E_ALL | E_STRICT
    Production Value: E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED

is not showing any error for pages in browser
    ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do the pages work or do you see just a white page? If you get just a white page, then take a look at the error.log of the website.

If you migrated the pages, please check that all files and folders are owned by the web user and client group of the website, if the files are owned by root, then php-fcgi will fail with a security error in the error.log and show just a white page.

3. radim_h

i have migrated pages by FTP so owner is good..

when there is error, like bad mysql connection config, page is just white, instead of showing error defined in PHP code, as for example "wrong SQL connection"
    i'd like the web pages showing this error...

error.log seems to work correctly
    only weird thing is that it is full of messages which werent shown under mod_php, as
    [warn] Undefined index:
    [warn] Undefined variable:

can i show just
    [error] messages in error log ?

again setting of erorr reporting in php doesn't seems to do any change

does it all something to do with fcgi + suExec ?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, I dont think so.

The error_reporting setting in php ini defines just which errors are reported and not where they are reported. Since Debian 6, error reporting on screen is off by default to protect the web applications. To turn it on, edit the php.ini and change:

display_errors = Off

to:

display_errors = On

and restart apache.

5. radim_h

thank you for info!

6. radim_h

just for info

Here is something about
    http://php.net/manual/en/errorfunc.configuration.php

i was right about it
    When using PHP with Apache mod_fcgid and "log_errors = On", PHP errors get logged into Apache ErrorLog file with severity "warn". No matter what severity the PHP error itself has, the severity in the Apache log is "warn".

some solutions on the page had no time for testing...

7. jan-paul

jan-paul New Member

How to turn on error reporting in PHP, the right (ISPConfig 3) way

Sorry for bumping this after 3 years or so, I searched howtoforge for the terms 'php error reporting' but got no useful hits. This is the thread I found via google, so that says something about it's relevance IMO.

The correct way to turn on error reporting in PHP ISPConfig is easy:
    1. Choose the website for which to turn on PHP error reporting.
    2. Go to the tab 'Options'
    3. In the field for 'Custom php.ini settings' fill in: display_errors = On

And now error reporting is active for this website; how cool is that?

8. mungujakisa

mungujakisa New Member

Hi, I thought perhaps I should weigh in on this as I didn't get much help from any threads I looked at.
    I also got a white screen after migrating from one server to another, and this came when I imported the database from the old server as I didn't want to recreate any and everything.
    Following the database hint (since all else was working well including websites, phpmyadmin, etc), I checked the logs and found the following error:
    Code:
    mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning:  mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/classes/db_mysql.inc.php
    Following that hint, I went to that file, rfered above, but didn't get where to edit the password. I then went up one folder and found the password in config.inc.php file.
    I then went to phpmyadmin and opened users. I edited the password for ispconfig to the one I found in the config.inc.php file and my problem was completely resolved.

My conclusion to this is that when I updated the whole database, the ispconfig account on the new server was replaced by the one on the old server, including the passwords as well.