Is Wordpress v5.8 still very heavy?

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by concept21, Aug 12, 2022.

Tags:
  1. concept21

concept21 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello Wordpress Experts,
    I am going to buy a new theme for my new site's portal. Wordpress themes dominate a large portion of the website theme market.

My exprience with Wordpress is - it is very slow and heavy.
    So I want to know whether it has been improved during the past many years. Thanks for your opinions.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Slow and heavy compared to what?
    I do not see Wordpress being slower or heavier than other CMS systems. It may depend on how Wordpress is used.
    My server has not had performance problems since it got SSD drives.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    concept21 likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't think that WordPress is slower or heavier than other CMS. What can make WP slow is installing too many or the wrong plugins or themes. And you should always install a cache plugin.

concept21 likes this.
  4. concept21

My VM is 4GB, 3cores, SSD, ISPConfig 3.2.
    Can it run Wordpress v5.8 well?

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I can not say anything to that.
    What version of PHP is used? PHP developers have stated recent versions are much faster.
    Wordpress with oodles of plugins and big complicated theme may get slow.
    You say 4GB and 3 cores, what else is running on that host? Have you monitored performance to see if there is a bottleneck somewhere? There are website tools to measure web page load times and provide analysis.
    It is possible that Wordpress is fast, but something else on your setup slows it down. Only way to find out is test and do measurements.

concept21 likes this.
  6. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

no. it'll get hacked. 5.8 is old. use 6.0.1
    and as already stated. it's no slower than any other cms, it's usually the site designer / content creators decisions that cause a slow wordpress site.
    use only well written, well supported plugins. use as few plugins as possible. choose a well written theme (or write your own)
    configure decent caching, and configure decent expiry dates for static content (for browser caching) and optimize images properly.
    you should be able to get a site loading in less than 500ms.

if you want faster, have the generated pages converted to static html and only serve that to visitors.

you can (we do) run multiple large wordpress sites on 2vpcu, 4Gb vps's

concept21 likes this.
  7. concept21

I have bought a theme for US$80 and installed in on a Wordpress 6.1.

web page Bench mark is only grade D after I configured the memcache, redis cache, minify ccs, etc. :(

8. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you don't say what theme. something based on elementor or divi is likely to be slower, since it includes all the page builder bloat.
    you also don't say what benchmark, but they're also not based purely on speed, layout, ordering/ layout shift, standards compliance etc all come into it.
    also, too many different caches can, ironically, make the site slower. minifying everything doesn't necessarily make it faster. things need to be prioritised. essential and non-blocking css and javascript loaded first. above the fold images loaded inline, below the fold images lazy loaded. images optimized for the screen resolution, and ideally webp's. any remaining css and scripts loaded last.

then start looking at server side bottlenecks. is it a remote db? are other sites php / db queries slowing everything? can the sites mysql queries be optimized? there's so many different things that can lead to a low benchmark score

ahrasis and till like this.
  9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

And that you bought a theme does not mean it's faster than a free one. And like @nhybgtvfr mentioned, more caches do not necessarily mean that it is faster, plus the location of your server can make a big difference, e.g. when you have a server in Germany but use a US-based web speed tester, then this fact alone can show a lower site speed value.

And when you refer to pagespeed insights from Goole, they continuously set tighter limits. E.g. I has a WP site optimized to a 100% score about a year ago, now pagespeed shows just a value of 68 for mobile and 86 for desktop while it still feels in the browser as if it loads instantly. E.g. I use just a very simple and relatively old cache named cachify, the beauty with that is that cachify writes the whole page into Memcached and Nginx is configured to retrieve it directly from Memcached, so WordPress and PHP are not even contacted by Nginx for page delivery after the initial caching of that page, so the speed of WordPress doe snot matter after the first page hit anymore.

ahrasis likes this.
  10. concept21

I use this to check page benchmark. They keep asking me to buy wp rocket plugin :D
    https://gtmetrix.com/

One thing I am quite confident. After I switched from php8.0 to php8.1, a Laravel site's benchmark increased from C to B; while another wordpress site's benchmark increased from E to D.

Yes, my server is in Finland which requires no cooling so price of server is lower. :D

11. concept21

Yes, my theme loads either Elementor or WP Bakery.
    Which one is lighter? :rolleyes:

12. concept21

and who has experience on CDN? Is it very difficult to set up?

Namecheap has a free version CDN for their clients to try. :rolleyes: