auto installer gives lots of error when used on systems with restricted internet access

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by asgare, Nov 16, 2022.

1. asgare

asgare Member

Hi till
    I wish you had a step-by-step installation for Debian 11, like the previous one.
    Autoinstaller gives lots of errors.
    For instance at the beginning:
    After this command:
    Code:
    wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s -- --help
    This error poped:
    Code:
    PHP cli missing, trying to install.
    I installed this:
    Code:
    apt  install php-cli
    Then tried but still got this error:
    Code:
    PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /tmp/ispconfig-ai/lib/class.ISPConfigLog.inc.php:74
    Stack trace:
    #0 /tmp/ispconfig-ai/lib/class.ISPConfig.inc.php(310): ISPConfigLog::print()
    #1 /tmp/ispconfig-ai/lib/class.ISPConfig.inc.php(338): ISPConfig::printHelp()
    #2 /tmp/ispconfig-ai/ispconfig.ai.php(13): ISPConfig::run()
    #3 {main}
      thrown in /tmp/ispconfig-ai/lib/class.ISPConfigLog.inc.php on line 74

Finally, I decided to install it in the old way back to Debina 10 configuration.
    First got an error for
    Code:
    getmail4
    , I decided to install it but Debian installed a newer version of that which is
    Code:
    getmail6
    After that unfortunately got an incompatibility error. After hours of Googling, I installed it according to the documentation but some of the apps were outdated and finally, ISPConfig didn't work well.

I am wondering if would it be possible to put step-by-step documentation for Debian 11. Also, this will help me to figure out which application band in Iran and go, get it manually and then install it easily.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is not an error, it's the information that the auto-installer is installing php-cli now because it was not installed yet.

I just ran the auto-installer on a clean Debian 10 system a few days ago, not a single error. Your system must somehow be broken or configured in a way that apt can not install packages, probably due to your network restrictions. So not really an issue of the auto-installer but more an issue of your restricted network access.

I've planned to write a manual setup guide soon, just did not had the time to do that yet and most users prefer the auto-installer anyway.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  3. asgare

asgare Member

I added multiple network mirros form different countries for Debian 11. Then updated & upgrade Debian after that but above erros happen to me.

Firstly, appreciate your guidance in advance and meanwhile as you are working on step by step documentation I will do some lab works with auto installer.

I hope could understand what's going on.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The auto installer does not work if /etc/apt/sources.list is modified. I discovered this the hard way.
    Let auto installer do its stuff on plain freshly installed OS, then after ISPConfig is installed add local APT mirrors.
    What might work, I have not tried, is leaving /etc/apt/sources.list as is, adding local mirrors to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mymirrors.list.

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Not really. You can actually change the autoinstaller script to use your own repos especially in case you are not connected to internet globally like our friend here.

6. asgare

asgare Member

I don't know how! can you tell me, please?
    I want to see that script to figure out where I got stuck.

7. asgare

asgare Member

I am preparing a new feed to share my experience with this auto-installer. Please bear with me to see where the problem is.

8. till

Your situation is quite special due to internet access restrictions which cause software installs and downloads with apt in the auto-installer to fail, so you might need to adjust the auto-installer for your special situation, e.g. the code that sets the right sources.list file. But keep in mind that such problems do not apply to many users as the auto installer is intended to be used on systems that are able to download and install Debian and Ubuntu packages from the internet in the 'normal' way.

asgare likes this.
  9. asgare

asgare Member

You are right Till.
    If you don't mind I prepare a new feed with my experience to solve my issue.

10. till

Sure, that would be great. I just had to mention your special case as other users are probably not aware of it so they do not apply findings or conclusions from this thread to their setups when they do not have the exact situation that you have to deal with.

asgare likes this.
  11. asgare

asgare Member

Till I would be grateful if you tell me where I can download the auto-installer script to the list of commands and where I stoped in installation.

12. till

13. asgare

asgare Member

14. till

And one thing to notice, check out the auto installer using git if you want to modify it, if you just download the source as tar.gz and then unpack and run it, the auto installer will re-download itself. This mechanism does not apply when it finds the git structure files.

Code:
    cd /tmp
    git clone https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig-autoinstaller.git
    cd ispconfig-autoinstaller
    git checkout master

15. ahrasis

If you have your own created repos in the same server or in another server in the same network, you may change the sources.list to that so it will use them instead of grabbing from the internet.

Then you have to manually download the auto installer script, as prescribed by @tll above, disabling php code that make changes to that file, may be simply by commenting out part of that code, and lastly run the script as prescribed in its tutorial / instruction manual.

Good luck.

Note: I do not think setting up the repos via the auto installer should be make compulsory but I believe it got its own purpose. I've never tried @Taleman approach of setting up a mirror, but I think that should work as well.

16. till

Not setting them up will make a high number of installs fail as many systems do not have all Ubuntu and Debian repositories (like multiverse, restricted etc.) enabled. In the beginning, we e.g. had no step to set the repositories in perfect server guides as we assumed that systems should be set up correctly in this regard already, this resulted in a lot of install failures until we added that step.

17. ahrasis

There may be another way(s) to do it, but may be more codes are needed, instead of simply replacing the developer's choice of repository into the sources.list file. At this stage, I personally know how to manipulate the script to make it work to my liking so it doesn't really matter to me for now, but in the future, if I have time and remember about this, I may help looking into it and suggesting something else.