VPS - IP Address Per Domain

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by CRY, Dec 6, 2022.

1. CRY

CRY New Member

I have been using ISPConfig for a while, but seem to be lost with this one.
    ISPConfig & Services run on IP 1xx.xxx.xxx.xx1
    I have recently added multiple IP addresses to the VPS ( 2xx.xxx.xxx.100 thru to 2xx.xxx.xxx.125 ). The end goal is to have each clients domain(s) on their own private IP address. Previously they were all sharing IP address 1xx.xxx.xxx.xx1
    The Clients or I have setup DNS (Using GoDaddy or whoever **ISPConfig is NOT running DNS**) to point the domains to their new IP addresses
    I have gone into "System/Server IP Addresses" and added all the new IP addresses to the list and assigned them to each "Client"
    I then went into the "Websites" tab and edited each to their newly assigned IP addresses
    Then the Problems started.......
    1. Any * NEW * websites added are no longer getting any SSL Certificates ( Let's Encrypt Check Box Keeps Check Boxes Stay Blank ) Tried now with 3 different "NEW" domains: Same result. All previously configured websites seem to have kept their Let's Encrypt SSL intact and unchanged. I did notice that 1 of the "NEW" websites keeps redirecting to https from http when that is not setup to do that.
    2. None of the websites will connect/load anymore unless I go back into the DNS and change the domains back to 1xx.xxx.xxx.xx1

EDIT: All IP Addresses are Public IP's ** Thanks for pointing that out ahrasis **

I'm baffled as to what is going on. According to the documentation I have read online I have followed all steps accordingly and all should be working.
    Please Help & Thanks in Advance.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Are these public ips?

3. CRY

CRY New Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I have updated my post to reflect the fact I forgot to add this bit of vital information. Yes, they all are public IP addresses.

4. ahrasis

Can you reach the same server via all of that public ips?

5. CRY

CRY New Member

As it turns out, no I can not. I am getting "Timed Out" errors. I did go into ISPConfig and add all the IP's as per the manual and they all appear when adding new websites or editing the old ones to use the new IP's.

6. ahrasis

If the IPs are properly assigned to that server, then you must be able to connect to it via any of the IP, otherwise, there is/are something wrong(s) in your steps. Do trace your steps in assigning that public IPs to your server. These are that IPs' provider specific things so you should check with them as well.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You seem to have missed the most critical first step, assigning the IP addresses to your server and configuring them in your network settings.

This makes the IP addresses available to be selected for a website in ISPConfig. But you must configure the network settings of your server first in the network config file of your server, this is specific to your provider and not done by ISPConfig. Contact support of your provider and ask them how to add these additional IP addresses to your system, then test if they are working and if that#s fine, then you can use them in ISPConfig and assign them to a website.

8. CRY

CRY New Member

Well, If there is one thing to remember when configuring your servers it is that you must remember upgrades that have been done. The problem has been solved and it was due to me missing something because of using a newer (20.04) Ubuntu Server. I completely forgot that it uses "netplan" to set the IP addresses.
    ISPConfig does not configure this when adding IP's to the Server Config Section (Hopefully one day this can be implemented for people like me adding large amounts of IP addresses at the same time)

I've added the proper configuration manually and all is working well now.
    I will leave this post here for anyone else who may happen to forget, like me, or possibly just don't know what to do to correct this issue.

ahrasis likes this.
  9. ahrasis

Great to hear you figured out the missing step.
    No worries. This happens to the best of us too. ;)

CRY likes this.