ALIAS records

Discussion in 'General' started by nhybgtvfr, Dec 7, 2022.

1. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

are alias records not supported by bind yet? or is it ispconfigs implementation?

i did google for bind and alias records, but didn't find anything that wasn't so old it may no longer be relevant.

i know i can't CNAME the root of a domain, but ALIAS records should allow that
    https://help.ns1.com/hc/en-us/artic...e-difference-between-CNAME-and-ALIAS-records-

however, when i try adding an ALIAS record for a domain root in ispconfig (using the ALIAS button, not A or CNAME) it creates it in the dns zone file as a CNAME record, which then causes the whole zonefile to get moved to a .err file, and the original, unchanged zonefile restored. kind of makes the ALIAS button rather irrelevant...

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig DNS module was originally built for the MyDNS server, which supports aliases. BIND does not support aliases (at least it did not at the time we built the DNS module, not checked for some time, though), so we had to map that function to CNAME for BIND. PowerDNS, which is not officially supported but available as a maintained plugin, does support aliases as far as I know, but not 100% sure.

Th0m likes this.
  3. ifo

ifo New Member

Hello! Would you happen to know what is the status of ALIAS records in BIND? Google searches do not return anything useful even today...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As far as I know, BIND does not support them.

5. ifo

ifo New Member

OK, thanks!