500 Internal Server Error after upgrading ubuntu from 20.04 to 22.04

Discussion in 'General' started by johnymas, Dec 11, 2022.

1. johnymas

johnymas Member

Ispconfig control panel (v 3.2.9) stopped working after upgrading ubuntu from 20.04 to 22.04. I tried to debug ispconfig but there are not any record in log file (ispconfig.log).

I followed instructions here but I only get result such as

Set Lock: /usr/local/ispconfig/server/temp/.ispconfig_lock
    finished server.php.

Attached Files:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The log of the web server is not ispconfig.log. The log file is either /var/log/apache2/error.log or /var/log/nginx/error.log

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you update to ISPConfig 3.2.9 after Ubuntu upgrade? It is important to run an ISPConfig update after you upgraded your system, otherwise some services will fail.

4. johnymas

johnymas Member

I tried to update ispconfig using ispconfig_update.sh but I got result "Unable to retrieve version file.root@server1:/home/....#"

I also checked error.log and I found errors like

.php-fcgi-starter: line 6: /usr/bin/php-cgi: No such file or directory
    [Sun Dec 11 12:30:10.904566 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 1576] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 192.168.0.148:54918] mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
    [Sun Dec 11 12:30:10.904604 2022] [core:error] [pid 1576] [client 192.168.0.148:54918] End of script output before headers: index.php

5. johnymas

johnymas Member

I'm not sure is it ok to run this command below but I can access now ispconfig control panel without error

apt-get -y install apache2 apache2-doc apache2-utils libapache2-mod-php php8.1 php8.1-common php8.1-gd php8.1-mysql php8.1-imap phpmyadmin php8.1-cli php8.1-cgi libapache2-mod-fcgid apache2-suexec-pristine php-pear libruby libapache2-mod-python php8.1-curl php8.1-intl php8.1-pspell php8.1-sqlite3 php8.1-tidy php8.1-xmlrpc php8.1-xsl memcached php-memcache php-imagick php8.1-zip php8.1-mbstring php-soap php8.1-soap php8.1-opcache php-apcu php8.1-fpm libapache2-reload-perl php8.1-xml php8.1-dev php8.1-redis

6. cavallad

cavallad New Member

I didn't realise this would be a problem. I previously upgraded Ubuntu from 20.04 to 22.04 on a server with ISPConfig 3.2 installed. When I tried the same thing with ISPConfig 3.2.9 installed, ISPConfig fails to run.
    Is there a solution to this?

7. cavallad

cavallad New Member

Additionally, when I try to update with the 'ispconfig_update.sh --force' command, the script complains that the Curl and Multibyte modules are missing, and then fails.

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

9. johnymas

johnymas Member

It works fine for me now. I had to do some steps...

step1
    Set Permanent DNS Nameservers in Ubuntu and Debian
    Next, open the /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head configuration file.

$ sudo vi /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    and add the following lines in it:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

Save the changes and restart the resolvconf.service and systemd-resolved or reboot the system.

$ sudo systemctl restart resolvconf.service
    $ sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved.service

Now when you check the /etc/resolv.conf file, the name server entries should be stored there permanently. Henceforth, you will not face any issues concerning name resolution on your system.

REBOOT!!!
    CHECK
    vi /etc/resolv.conf

step2
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade

apt-get -y install apache2 apache2-doc apache2-utils libapache2-mod-php php8.1 php8.1-common php8.1-gd php8.1-mysql php8.1-imap phpmyadmin php8.1-cli php8.1-cgi libapache2-mod-fcgid apache2-suexec-pristine php-pear libruby libapache2-mod-python php8.1-curl php8.1-intl php8.1-pspell php8.1-sqlite3 php8.1-tidy php8.1-xmlrpc php8.1-xsl memcached php-memcache php-imagick php8.1-zip php8.1-mbstring php-soap php8.1-soap php8.1-opcache php-apcu php8.1-fpm libapache2-reload-perl php8.1-xml php8.1-dev php8.1-redis php8.1-readline libonig5

step3
    Replace the current enabled PHP version with your version.

sudo a2dismod php7.4
    sudo a2enmod php8.1

Restart Apache for the changes to take effect.

sudo systemctl restart apache2

step4
    ISPCONFIG -> TOOLS -> RESYNC -> ALL SERVICES

ispconfig_update.sh --force

step5
    GRUB
    Open your Terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) then type...

sudo vi /etc/default/grub
    then add this line:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
    to the grub configurations. Then in the terminal run...

sudo update-grub
    then reboot.

step6
    Install Roundcube Webmail
    To install Roundcube Webmail, run:

apt-get -y install roundcube roundcube-core roundcube-mysql roundcube-plugins roundcube-plugins-extra javascript-common libjs-jquery-mousewheel php-net-sieve

ahrasis likes this.
  10. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks for sharing the steps.

I am still keeping my Ubuntu 20.04 for now until this May 2023 when 23.04 version is finalized and released where I hope to see Ubuntu 22.04 to become more stable and shortcomings in ISPConfig 3.2.9 are fixed and ISPConfig more stable version is released.