ISPConfig and ddev

Discussion in 'General' started by Taxi, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Taxi

Taxi Member

Hello,
    I wanted to use ddev for the installation of typo3 version12.2.
    ddev does not allow the usage as root.
    All my domains under /var/www are owned by root:root. Is this meant to be this way, or should it be owned by www-data:www-date.
    Kind regards
    Christian

Server:
    ISPConfig Version: 3.2.9p1
    Debian stable
    Apache

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Websites in ISPConfig are never owned by the root user and websites are not (and should not be) owned by the user or group www-data. Each website runs under its own user, the usernames are like web1, web2 etc. and the group of the client like client1, client2 etc. You should take a closer look at the owners of directories to see that websites are not owned by root and also not by www-data on your system.

3. Taxi

Taxi Member

Sorry Till, you're definitely right! When I'm changing the ownership of my Typo3 installations, I'm changing them regarding web78:client1.
    What is the issue is, that I'm operating as root, and that's why ddev comes up with this error message.
    Maybe I should create a user on the server and give this user the group access to the ISPConfig groups client1...n.
    Or how do you solve this issue? Or am I the only one using ddev?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'm not using ddev. But you can either create a shell user in ISPConfig for the website and log in to that user or become that user using su command when you are currently root. Or you use the sudo command to execute the ddev script as web user like:

sudo -u web78 ............

5. Taxi

Taxi Member

Many thanks, I'll figure out a solution.