Problems after upgrading ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 Multiserver

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sheshes, Mar 17, 2023.

1. sheshes

sheshes Member

After uppgrading ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 on multiserver server setup, the db server is updated to MariaDB 10.3.
    For some reason Phpmyadmin and pure-ftp (which both reside on the web server) no longer can connect to the db server and thus not working properly (although the service start fine).

Please advice

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

How did you do the upgrade? Did you force ISPConfig to reconfigure services?
    It may be newer version of db has stricter protection settings, examine logs to see what happens when service fails to connect to db server.

3. sheshes

sheshes Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. I ve updated following the guide with do-release upgrade then ispconfig_update.sh -force. and reconfigured services.

Which logs should give me something? I cannot find any distinct error anywhere. Plus I get fail2ban to ban my ip after 3 tries as the error thrown is for wrong authorisation login which I presume is cause from not beeing able to connect to the db and read the user's credentials

4. Taleman

Which guide?

5. sheshes

sheshes Member

6. Taleman

Did you remember to run perfect server guide for Ubuntu 20.04?

7. sheshes

sheshes Member

I did yes, I made all necessary changes for mysql as noted. All other services work fine just these 2.

Phpmyadmin gives mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'web.example.com' (using password: YES)

where should I look to get a hint of what's going on?

8. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Try force update ISPConfig and opt to reconfigure services. Try also ISPConfig resync tool especially for db, web and files. By the way PMA is just a website, you can also follow @Th0m tips / tricks to reinstall the latest version and see if that works.

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check permissions of the mysql root user, maybe the update of the mysql/mariadb package changed it in a way to reject access from localhost or IP 127.0.0.1.

10. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Check if you enabled a newer MySQL authentication mode while the apps are still trying to connect with the original MySQL mode. You can see which mode you have in the database by selecting the users table of the mysql database.

Also, it happened to me that after DB or Ubuntu OS upgrades I had to grant all privileges on the various users. MySQL is quite nasty in this regard, because it can have a ton of users with the same username and different domain, some times you will see root@localhost with different credentials and attributes than root@<FQDN of locahost>