[solved] Error when using autoinstaller

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Krikey, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krikey

Krikey New Member

Returning to ISPConfig after a long while and following the https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/ howto on a Ubuntu 20.04 container.

However I'm getting an error after running the command
    Code:
     wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s -- --use-ftp-ports=40110-40210 --unattended-upgrades
    Code:
    [INFO] Starting perfect server setup for Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
    [INFO] Checking hostname.
    [INFO] Configuring apt repositories.
    [INFO] Updating packages
    [INFO] Updated packages
    [INFO] Installing packages ssh, openssh-server, nano, vim-nox, lsb-release, apt-transport-https, ca-certificates, wget, git, gnupg, ntp
    [INFO] Installed packages ssh, openssh-server, nano, vim-nox, lsb-release, apt-transport-https, ca-certificates, wget, git, gnupg, ntp
    [INFO] Activating rspamd repository.
    [INFO] Activating sury php repository.
    sh: 1: add-apt-repository: not found
    [ERROR] Exception occured: ISPConfigOSException -> Command add-apt-repository -y ppa:ondrej/php failed. (/ispconfig.ai.php:15)

This is from the setup-20210421093252.log file

Code:
    21.04.2021-09:32:56 - /lib/os/class.ISPConfigUbuntu2004OS.inc.php:68: [INFO] Activating sury php repository.
    21.04.2021-09:32:56 - /lib/os/class.ISPConfigBaseOS.inc.php:90: [DEBUG] CMD: add-apt-repository -y ppa:ondrej/php returned code 127
    21.04.2021-09:32:56 - /lib/class.ISPConfig.inc.php:117: [DEBUG] Trying to autoload class file "/tmp/ispconfig-ai/lib/exceptions/class.ISPConfigException.inc.php" for class "ISPConfigOSException"
    21.04.2021-09:32:56 - /ispconfig.ai.php:15: [ERROR] Exception occured: ISPConfigOSException -> Command add-apt-repository -y ppa:ondrej/php failed.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please run:

sudo apt install software-properties-common

and then run the auto installer again. Normally, this package is installed on a default Debian and Ubuntu system.

Krikey likes this.
  3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

How did you install Ubuntu 20.04?
    Run
    Code:
    apt update && apt install software-properties-common
    to resolve this issue and then run the installer again.

Krikey likes this.
  4. Krikey

Krikey New Member

I actually used a pre-defined container image for Proxmox 6 so I didn't actually install Ubuntu, so presumably there was something different about this template.

After running the command above, the installer continued but errored out again:

Code:
    [ERROR] Exception occured: ISPConfigOSException -> Command mount -o remount / 2>&1 && quotaoff -avug 2>&1 && quotacheck -avugm 2>&1 && quotaon -avug 2>&1 failed. (/ispconfig.ai.php:15)

5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do a clean install of Ubuntu, this should work.

6. Krikey

Krikey New Member

If I need to do a clean install that would mean not using LXC containers wouldn't it? Should I be using a QEMU VM instead and install using an ISO image?

7. till

Depending on your proxmox VM type, you might not be able to use quota if the underlying VM does not support quota. LXC containers do not support Linux quota. Use the --no-quota option of the installer to install your system without quota support or switch to a KVM-based (Qemu) VM in Proxmox.

ahrasis, Krikey and Th0m like this.
  8. Krikey

Krikey New Member

Thanks, the --no-quota option helped.

9. 18TommyBoy

18TommyBoy New Member

I too have this problem. Fresh Debian 11 or Ubuntu 22 install but always this problem...

10. till

Post the exact and complete output that you received on the shell for the whole install process plus post the result of the command:

uname -a

11. 18TommyBoy

18TommyBoy New Member

The very first problem is this command with error:
    nano /etc/hosts

"not found file" (yes, I am root)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  12. 18TommyBoy

18TommyBoy New Member

[INFO] Enabling TLS for pureftpd
    [INFO] Disabling awstats cron.
    [INFO] Installing packages fail2ban, ufw
    [INFO] Installed packages fail2ban, ufw
    [INFO] Configuring SSHd
    [INFO] Installing UnattendedUpgrades
    [INFO] Installing packages unattended-upgrades, apt-listchanges
    [INFO] Installed packages unattended-upgrades, apt-listchanges
    [INFO] Installing roundcube.
    [INFO] Installing packages roundcube, roundcube-core, roundcube-mysql, roundcube-plugins
    [INFO] Installed packages roundcube, roundcube-core, roundcube-mysql, roundcube-plugins
    [INFO] Installing ISPConfig3.
    [INFO] Adding PHP version(s) to ISPConfig.
    [ERROR] Exception occured: ISPConfigOSException -> Could not read ISPConfig settings file. (/ispconfig.ai.php:15)

13. till

Then there is an issue with your base system as any properly installed Linux server has a /etc/hosts file. What kind of server do you try to install ISPConfig on?

btw. You should not have hijacked an old thread with your problem as your issue is very not related to the problems of the original poster.

14. 18TommyBoy

18TommyBoy New Member

Fresh install on Kamatera servers. Only this ISPconfig panel and CyberPanel can´t install on Kamateras servers. All other panels can install on this VPS-es. I try only fresh Debian 11 or Ubuntu 22, then Ubuntu 22 optimized, then Ubuntu 22 optimized updated... But always this error.

15. till

The error message is entirely unspecific. It just means 'something went wrong'. That's why it does not make sense to hijack a thread of another user just because he posted this message as your problem is very likely not related to the one of that other user plus the first poster even gets a completely different error.

If the system has no /etc/hosts file, then it's not a normal complete Linux server system image, maybe you try installing inside some kind of minimal Linux container or similar, or your provider broke the system by removing some essential files. So first, you should fix that before it makes sense to try to install ISPConfig. Regarding ISPConfig installation, run the installer with the additional command line flags:

--debug --interactive

to get a more detailed output.

16. Peter Oudenes

Peter Oudenes New Member

I got same error:

Exception occured: ISPConfigOSException -> Command hostname -f 2>&1 failed. (/ispconfig.ai.php:15)

Then tried myself:

root@mail:~# hostname -f 2>&1
    hostname: Name or service not known

Then without -f

root@mail:~# hostname
    mail

Then changed file and changed mail.mydomain.com. Reboot and run again:

root@mail:~# hostname -f 2>&1
    mail.mydomain.com

Now the install is starting...

17. till

Ok, so there was no issue with the auto-installer. Just the hostname on your system was set up incorrectly. The auto-installer tutorial explicitly tells you to set hostname correctly and check that hostname command returns the correct hostname afterwards:

https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/

ahrasis likes this.
  18. Peter Oudenes

Peter Oudenes New Member

I see the issue already Used 127.0.0.1 instead of 127.0.1.1.
    Can I still change this so the settings are correct, or do I reinstall everything

19. till

Please read guides carefully and follow them to the letter, do not leave out 50% of the instructions as you did as your setup must fail then. Here the instructions from the guide:

You missed editing /etc/hosts file in the correct way that is shown in the guide and this is the reason why your setup failed.

20. till

You can still fix your system by editing the file in the correct way. A reinstall is not needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.