Incremental Backup 90/180 days => Concepts?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by daniel712, Apr 27, 2023.

1. daniel712

daniel712 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Friends,
    how to backup Server data (www, vmail, etc)?

How do you backup you servers to provide, e.g. a 90/180 days file history to the customer? Which software are you using?

Thanks for all inputs!
    I like rsnapshot, which is running very nicely. But i am always looking out, how other people do things...

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

BackupPC.
    This subject has been discussed previously, search old discussions on this forum.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

90/180 day file history to the customer ?? seems excessive..

they can get up to 30 backups from the control panel already.. daily, weekly or monthly..
    if they don't change their site or get much mail, weekly or monthly should give them more than enough of a time period to go back..
    if they want daily going back that far.. they should have their own off-hosting backup to cover that..
    in fact, they should have that anyway... even if i (or anyone else) provide backups for that period as their hoster, they shouldn't assume my backups / servers / or even company would still be available and accessible to them. if you don't have backups in multiple locations on multiple devices / services... then you don't have a backup.;)

4. schwim

schwim Member HowtoForge Supporter

At 6 months of backups, I'd consider you less a host and more of a backup provider.
    As for what I use, I use FreeFileSync and use tasks to connect nightly to pull modified files and place versioned files in their place. It's worked well for me in the event I needed to find an older version of some files.

5. daniel712

OK, great! Thank you all for the inputs!
    I think, i will change my own rsync scripts (archlinux wiki) to the BackupPC Solution and give that a try...
    I have gone through the BackupPC Docs -- Did i get the following right regarding BackupPC:
    • For the databases folder i use an own config to pause mysql service during the backup.
    • How do you handle dovecot vmail backups best? My plan is draw incremental syncs with dovadm to a backup folder on the server (in different intervals during the day) and backup this folder over the BackupPC service daily -- but this concept i am still devoloping... the goal would be, e.g. the possibility to restore a deleted email from some days ago...
    • BackupPC rsyncd is unencrypted transfer. So until now i have my backup servers on the same hoster location, so no problem. How do you do it offsite to another location with the rsyncd? Can rsynd operate through a ssh connection?

Some work still for this week... :)
    Thanks again...

6. Taleman

That would work, of course, if backup starting can cause the pause to trigger.
    On my systems I install automysqlbackup, which takes dumps of every database, and I let BackupPC backup those dumps.
    For vmail backup, I do nothing special. I just let backuppc backup the vmail/ directory tree.
    Yes.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    ahrasis likes this.
  7. daniel712

Very nice hint: automysqldump => i will have a look to the script and give it a try also! Thank you for sharing!

How is mysql backup done on larger database servers? With a replicating server, i guess and additional nightly dumps?

8. schwim

schwim Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is this the one you're using?

https://github.com/sixhop/AutoMySQLBackup

9. Taleman

No.
    I use
    Code:
    apt install automysqlbackup

10. daniel712

I am over the BackupPC Setup... Looks very nice as far as now! Thanks again for the advice of this great piece of software!

For very important data: Is it possible to mirror a BackupPC archive to another server? Or do you install the software in this case on the secondary backup server and draw the relevant BackupPC Archive from the primary server?
    Or do you use the export function of Backup PC to store the relevant data on the secondary server?

11. Taleman

I use two BackupPC hosts, running at different locations. Both take backup from the client hosts directly.
    Those other methods should work, from what I remember reading BackupPC documentation, but I have not tried them.