Can I see what goes into determining spamminess level?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by schwim, May 7, 2023.

1. schwim

schwim Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hey there everyone,

There's more to my issue but as an example, a canned phpbb topic reply originating from an address on the same server and a domain with SPF dmarc and dkim setup earns a **SPAM** label with spam setting to "normal" in ispc panel.

I'm just curious how I would go about deciphering what about an email like this earns that rating from the server's antispam system.

Headers, system logs, other?

Thanks for your time!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I use RSPAMD on my servers, it shows in History tab the spamminess scores by symbol. Hovering mouse over the symbol name shows tooltip what that symbol means.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. schwim

thanks for the help!

I'm also running rspamd. When you say it shows in history tab, where would that be located? Is there an rspamd panel that can be used with the system?

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ahrasis likes this.
  5. schwim

Ahh, that's fantastic, thanks very much.

I'm trying to sort out the many elements of the panel but one thing that's standing out right away is that my rspamd install is greylisting mail although I have not checked the checkbox for the mail accounts that it's happening for.
    What setting is causing it to use greylisting in spite of the the mailbox options stating not to do it?

The ISPC manual mentions "greylist" 12 times and nothing about it being overridden somewhere.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  6. Taleman

Now that You have found RSPAMD GUI, go to the Configuration tab there.

ahrasis likes this.
  7. schwim

Am I correct in my understanding that in my setup with rspamd, the ISPC-related spam settings in the mail account tabs don't actually make any difference?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your understanding is wrong. Rspamd is configured via the settings in mail account details in ISPconfig only. The Rspamd GUI is just there in case you want to review email history, it is not used to configure Rspamd.

9. schwim

So not having checked greylisting in the ISPC panel should mean that it shouldn't have been greylisting mail for that mail account and when I changed the setting in the rspamd panel, it should not have effected which incoming mail gets greylisted?

I ask because in both cases above, my ispc greylist setting is being ignored when looking at the mail history and raising the threshold in the rspamd configuration caused it to stop greylisting those mails(for instance, the topic replies I mentioned).

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The greylisting checkbox in ISPConfig is about postgrey, if I remember correctly, so that's not a Rspamd-related setting. Rspamd settings are in the spamfilter policy only, in the email domain or mail account you chose, which policy shall get applied then.

schwim and ahrasis like this.
  11. schwim

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain. I don't understand the difference yet but will continue to look into the difference.
    I do have a question though. Would you happen to know how to disable rspamd's greylisting? I've googled a lot but all of the results I find (like this one) involve files and paths that don't exist on my server.

12. Taleman

FAQ explains how to disable greylisting: https://rspamd.com/doc/faq.html#how-can-i-disable-greylisting
    However, I assume it may not be good to modify rspamd configuration manually, it should be done in ISPConfig Panel. On the other hand, my understanding is this can not be altered in Panel, so maybe just try to modifying that file and see what happens? It may be ISPConfig update does not touch that file.

ahrasis likes this.
  13. schwim

Thanks for that. I added the file and restarted rspamd. I'll watch the history tab to make sure it's not greylisting any longer.

ahrasis likes this.
  14. schwim

A bit odd but every once in a while, the panel shows a mail getting greylisted but I don't think it's really getting greylisted, it's getting delivered to the user. There's no repeat attempts and when I'm the recipient, I get that mail that shows being greylisted.

Just an oddity. All in all, the absolute deluge of uselessly greylisted mails has been stopped so I consider the change a success.