Correct procedure update OS ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 + ispconfig 3.2

Discussion in 'General' started by vincent1890, Jun 19, 2023.

1. vincent1890

vincent1890 New Member

Hello

I currently have an IspConfig 3.1 installation installed on an Ubuntu 18.04 I want to do a double update of OS to 20.04 with "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" (22.04 is not yet compatible if I understood correctly on the forum) and do the update of IspConfig 3.1 to 3.2

Link retrieved to avoid errors during the operation:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/updating-ispconfig-3-1-to-ispconfig-3-2/
    https://www.faqforge.com/linux/controlpanels/ispconfig3/how-to-update-ispconfig-3/

First question if I understood correctly I already have to update OS (Is good?)

If positive answer to the previous question:
    I’ve seen posts from the forum that redirect to this: https://www.howtoforge.com/update-the-ispconfig-perfect-server-from-debian-10-to-debian-11/
    But I use Ubuntu and NOT Debian so I really have to follow the following processes or not also on ubuntu?
    2. Clean up mailman
    3. Install missing PHP packages
    5. Update paths to use PHP 7.4 as default PHP version

Obviously first of all I would make a backup/snap to be able to go back in time if necessary

Thank you for your help

2. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Then a simple
    Code:
    ispconfig_update.sh --force
    should be enough to be up to date.

No need to install php7.4 and update the path as the os update will update the php default version and path to the correct 8.0 or 8.1 version.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Your post on the other thread was already replied with confirmation of ISPConfig support to Ubuntu 22.04.

You can search on how to upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 in here as I do not think there is a step by step tutorial for it, but for Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04, you can try following this tutorial: https://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-20-04-to-22-04-upgrade/amp/

pyte likes this.
  4. recin

recin Active Member

Did it yesterday from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 following this:
    • System snapshot
    • Manual backup of manually changed config files (/etc/fail2ban, /etc/rspamd, /etc/crontab)
    • apt update && apt -y upgrade
    • apt dist-upgrade
    • do-release-upgrade
    • ispconfig_update.sh --force
    • Previous failed, asking for missing php modules, so I change system PHP version from 7.2 to 7.4 with update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.4 and then it works
    • Webs with default PHP failed, so I changed them to PHP 7.4 from panel.
    • Check system services with systemctl --failed
    • Check logs in /var/log and with journalctl -b -r looking for errors
    • Test webs, mails and rspamd UI
    • Install CSF firewall

5. pyte

Ok then. Whats the question now? You already did one of the updates and it worked. Just upgrade again now

6. recin

recin Active Member

Me? No questions, I'm just leaving it in case it can help someone else.

pyte likes this.
  7. vincent1890

vincent1890 New Member

Hello @pyte @ahrasis @recin
    Thank you for your messages to all

@pyte it suits me to learn that 22.04 is compatible this is really top thanks a lot.

@ahrasis Thanks for the link I see that in the end there is not much specific to do about IspConfig.

Thanks a lot to you @recin for your message step by step this will surely be of great help to me this is really what I expected as an answer because several verification steps that you mancionner are not indicated null by online this is top thanks to you!

I will update within the day or week and keep you informed

pyte likes this.
  8. pyte

:D completly missed that you are not OP

recin likes this.
  9. vincent1890

vincent1890 New Member

Hello again, everyone,

Due to numerous issues during the operating system and package migration (I was forced to uninstall Rspamd among others because it was impossible to update the OS without doing so and due to a package update error on version 20.04, etc...), I have created a new forum thread to obtain the complete procedure since, to my knowledge, there is no comprehensive tutorial available for performing a complete migration. https://forum.howtoforge.com/thread...-servers-in-ispconfig-3-2-seeking-help.90779/

Nevertheless, I appreciate your responses as I believe this forum thread will certainly be helpful to many other individuals who are not experiencing the same issues as me.

10. pyte

That sounds odd. It would have helped if you just posted what went wrong so we could have helped.

vincent1890 likes this.
  11. ahrasis

pyte likes this.
  12. recin

recin Active Member

I had the same problem with rspamd, since it wasn't let me update it since some time ago, it neither didn't let me upgrade system, so I uninstall it, upgrade system and then install it again, copying my old rspamd config files, perform ispconfig_update.sh --force and it works like a charm

13. vincent1890

vincent1890 New Member

There were so many strange issues that I had to restore the backup and update only IspConfig (unable to update MySQL, PhpMyAdmin update error, Rspamd blocking due to an unresolvable dependency, Grub error, LVM storage error, etc.). Normally, upgrades on my machines go smoothly, except for Windows where I reinstall every time. However, this time, I find the number of errors quite abnormal, even though I hardly customized the virtual machine that I downloaded here for the first time after an initial migration of IspConfig: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...u-18-04-nginx-bind-dovecot-and-ispconfig-3/3/

14. vincent1890

vincent1890 New Member

Then, if I understand correctly, the migration process is quite simple and requires minimal downtime, which suits me well. Therefore, I will attempt a migration to see how it goes and move to a machine that I would install myself from scratch. If everything goes well, it will be much better, as the numerous errors encountered with a simple "do-release-upgrade" update seem highly unusual to me. There is also the question of existing configuration files that cannot be replaced by the potentially more comprehensive and different ones after the update, and there are quite a few of them.

15. ahrasis

I didn't migrate, if that is what you are thinking i.e. using migration tool, but I simply updated my servers to Ubuntu 22.04.

Using migration tool should be simpler and safer, and it is a good preference too.