Help putting it all together

Discussion in 'General' started by roi, Oct 17, 2006.

1. roi

roi New Member

I'm trying to run my own DNs servers using myDNS.

I went on the How To Run Your Own Name Servers With ISPConfig And GoDaddy tutorial and did everything in the first page, creating entries for ns1.example.com & ns2.example.com as well as example.com to a third ip where the web/mail server is.

At this point I installed two machines with Debian+MySQL+myDNS+MyDNSConfig, giving them ns1 & ns2 for host names and example.com for domain name during the installation.

I have checked it up and it's all running good. I can log into MyDNSConfig web panels and make changes.

BUT - what to put it ?
    Do I need to create SOA entries for example.com on both machines before I start filling entries for the rest of my domains ?

When I go into the SOA zones and press the create new zone, what do I put in the Origin field ? is this where I put new domain names for the first time ? (mydomain.com) before I create it's other records ?

In the "name server" field it say : ns1.example.com on ns1 but ns2.example.com on ns2. (this are the default entries I gave). Is this correct or is it better to have the same name server default on both machines ?

Thank you in advance for the help.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. roi

roi New Member

Yep,
    Can't seem to get it all to work.

First thing that I don't understand is the name server entry.
    my name servers are : ns1.main_domain.com and ns2.main_domain.com
    in the default NS field and the primery autorative name server field, do I put the same entry on both machines or do I put for each machine it's own name ?

4. falko

You put in the same entry on both machines. Actually, you could use MySQL replication, that way you have to create your records only on the master: http://www.howtoforge.com/mysql_database_replication :)

5. roi

roi New Member

I willprobably do it in the end, I'v seen the tutorial before, but at the moment I dont have time to play with the configuraion.
    As I understand, the tables on the slave machine need to be empty before this process can start...

6. falko

Yes, that's right.

7. roi

roi New Member

Stupid .Me I kinda moved most of my domains onto the new DNS servers and turnd them into a production enviroment, So I'm not very into messing with it.

I'm thinking to give the DNS area a rest for the time being and go back to work on my web admin system.
    I'll go back to it after finishing some more stages.