Upgrade MariaDB 10.3.38 to the last version

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Nexus Fred, Oct 18, 2023.

1. Nexus Fred

Nexus Fred Member

Hello,
    I have a warning in my "WordPress Site Health" telling me that my MySQL server is outdated.
    Is there a tutorial for Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS + ISPConfig 3.2.5 to safely upgrade MariaDB 10.3.38 to the last version ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If this were my server, I guess I would upgrade Ubuntu to the recent version and ISPConfig to the current version as well, this will give you a more recent MariaDB version automatically.

Nexus Fred and ahrasis like this.
  3. remkoh

remkoh Active Member

You could install MariaDB's own repository and upgrade from there.

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Agreed and this the safest known way for ISPConfig server.

I know there are some who use MariaDB repo for the latest bleeding edge stable version and I was one of those who tested this, but to my experience, there'll be problem from time to time, so I don't use it anymore.

Nexus Fred likes this.
  5. remkoh

remkoh Active Member

Probably depends on the version you're going for.
    I'm running MariaDB's v10.11 repo on all my servers, the current long-term stable release.
    Currently v10.11.5, which is way higher then Ubuntu's default repo.
    So far without issues.

Nexus Fred likes this.
  6. Nexus Fred

Nexus Fred Member

Thanks for all your reply. I will update ubuntu then ISPConfig. Fingers cross lol :)

remkoh and ahrasis like this.
  7. ahrasis

Good choice.

8. Nexus Fred

Nexus Fred Member

Hello,
    I have well update my ubuntu from the 20.4 to the 23.01 lunar.
    I also well update ISPConfig to the Version 3.2.11
    But now I am unable to install PHP 8 following this tutorial https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-php-ubuntu/ which was written for version 20.4.
    E: Unable to locate package php8.2-cgi
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'php8.2-cgi'​
    :eek:

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no Ubuntu 23.01. I guess you either mean Ubuntu 23.10 or Ubuntu 23.04, which are both Ubuntu Desktop versions and not LTS releases for use on servers. The correct Ubuntu server version to upgrade to would have been 22.04, which is the most recent Ubuntu server version. ISPConfig does not support support Ubuntu Desktop releases, but it might work there nonetheless.

That's not correct, as the tutorial states it is for Ubuntu 18.04 up to 22.04, so it covers the latest Ubuntu server release, which is 22.04. We do not cover desktop versions, though. You might want to have a look at the website from PHP package maintainer https://deb.sury.org/ if there is anything specific to your Ubuntu version. Still, I think the instructions from our tutorial should apply to newer Ubuntu versions as well. It might just be that your Ubuntu version is not yet supported by the package maintainer in case its Ubuntu 23.10, which has just been released a few days ago.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
    ahrasis and Nexus Fred like this.
  10. Nexus Fred

Nexus Fred Member

Ok, I didn't know that. It's not an issue I have a backup of my upgrade to 22.04 :) So I will restore it.

11. Nexus Fred

Nexus Fred Member

I restored my ubuntu 22.04 backup and then updated ISPConfig but it doesn't work as well as before 20.04.
    ISPConfig is very slow to start. I have to wait at least 1 minute after the final OS boot.
    Every time I click on something I get this wait window that I've never seen before.
    upload_2023-10-22_23-43-5.png
    And phpMyAdmin is not working anymore
    First I had a HTTP ERROR 500.
    Then I try to update phpMyAdmin :
    PHP:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phpmyadmin/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install phpmyadmin
    But now I have this error message :
    When I check what php version is running :
    PHP:
     php -v

PHP 8.1.24 
    (cli) (builtOct  6 2023 09:46:19) (NTS)
    Copyright (cThe PHP Group
    Zend Engine v4.1.24
    Copyright (cZend Technologies
        with Zend OPcache v8.1.24
    Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies
    How can I force phpMyAdmin to use php 8? And make ISPConfig a little faster ?

12. remkoh

remkoh Active Member

I very recently installed the same repo running the same OS (22.04) and PHP (8.1.24) versions and had no problem at all installing phpmyadmin.
    PHP 8.0.0+ includes 8.1.24

Seems to me that your webserver is running another version of PHP then CLI on the command line.
    Make sure your webserver runs 8.1.24 (or any other 8.0.0+ version) also before installing phpmyadmin.

13. ahrasis

Check if you backup is good. If it is, try to check setups and installs for Ubuntu 22.04, since it was for Ubuntu 20.04 before that last upgrade.
    This is OS related matters. Check your boot up sequence. Also use monit to help monitor and keep-alive services like php.
    I think this method is unsupported. Try to undo and use @Th0m guide on getting the latest PMA instead. I found it the best so far.
    I think you system is still using php-fpm version for Ubuntu 20.04, so do check and update. There three of them, the cli, cgi and fpm.sock if I am not mistaken that must be using php8.1. Check Ubuntu multiple php tutorial on how to fix them.

To be safe, force update ISPConfig reconfiguring all services one last time, after all the above.

Nexus Fred likes this.
  14. Nexus Fred

Nexus Fred Member

Hello, I found the solution.
    Step 1
    update-alternatives --config php
    update-alternatives --config php-cgi
    update-alternatives --config php-fpm.sock
    Choose PHP 8.1 for ubuntu 22.04

Step 2
    Change PHP 7.4 to 8.1 in ISPConfig
    upload_2023-10-24_17-56-38.png