What are the differences between GitHub and GitLab?

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by concept21, Oct 4, 2023.

Tags:
  1. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Dear Expert Programmers,
    I am planning to hire developers to expand my own web applications' features. Therefore, I need something like Git version control collaboration.

Then, I have found GitHub and GitLab. Who have experiences with them? Could you share? :rolleyes:

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I started with github since I was a Simple Machine forum, then Elkarte forum, code contributor. I started learning git lab when I started contributing to ISPConfig. However, I never was a maintainer in a big scale like what you are planning to do so I do not know which one is better. I am fine with both though.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

GitHub and GitLab are very similar in what they provide. The main difference is GitHub is only available as a service and it is not available as OpenSource software. You can run GitLab on your own servers (as we do for ISPConfig), and it has an OpenSource community edition. Nonetheless, the company behind GitLab also provides it as a service offering in case you don't want to run GitLab yourself.

concept21, Th0m and ahrasis like this.
  4. concept21

concept21 Active Member

If GitHub is a web service, can it host private project so that people outside my team cannot read and access to my codes? :rolleyes:

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Go to GitHub and check out their pricing plans, there you can see in detail what they offer and that you can get private projects as well.

6. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes. That is possible with private for organization or enterprise, but free has limited functions though.

concept21 likes this.
  7. lexie21

lexie21 New Member

GitHub and GitLab are both web-based platforms for version control and collaborative software development, but they have some key differences:

1. Hosting:
      • GitHub: Hosted on GitHub's servers.
      • GitLab: This can be self-hosted on your own servers or used on GitLab's cloud-based service.
    2. Pricing:
      • GitHub: Offers free public repositories and paid plans for private repositories.
      • GitLab: Offers a free community edition for self-hosting and a paid version with additional features. Also offers a free tier on GitLab.com.
    3. Integration:
      • GitHub: Integrates well with a wide range of third-party services and has a large marketplace of apps.
      • GitLab: Offers a comprehensive set of integrated tools, including built-in CI/CD.
    4. Features:
      • GitHub: Known for social features and community, such as issues, pull requests, and GitHub Actions for CI/CD.
      • GitLab: Offers features like built-in CI/CD, Docker container registry, issue tracking, and a project management tool.
    5. Customization:
      • GitHub: Provides less flexibility for customization.
      • GitLab: Offers more flexibility for customizing your self-hosted instance.
    6. Security:
      • GitLab: Offers strong features for security, including built-in CI/CD scanning, container scanning, and more.
      • GitHub: Also has security features, but GitLab is often considered more comprehensive.
    Your choice between GitHub and GitLab may depend on factors like hosting preferences, pricing, specific project requirements, and the degree of customization and integration you need.

concept21 likes this.
  8. concept21

concept21 Active Member

WOW! Very good comparison! Thank you! :D

9. faille

faille New Member

You're right. I want an easy and accessible way to collaborate on code, so Github may is a good option for me

10. Doak

Doak New Member

Thank you, very helpful. I personally started with GitHub

11. concept21

concept21 Active Member

GitHub sounds better to me.
    I can start as little as US$4/user/month to own a private repo for casual web app. :D

12. lukafred

lukafred New Member

GitHub and GitLab are both platforms for hosting and managing Git repositories, but they have some differences:

• GitHub is owned by Microsoft, popular for open-source projects, and known for its simplicity and large community. It has GitHub Actions for CI/CD.

• GitLab offers both SaaS and self-hosted options with more built-in DevOps tools, like advanced CI/CD, and is often preferred by enterprises for its extensive features and flexibility.
    In short, GitHub is great for open-source and simplicity, while GitLab offers more powerful tools and flexibility, especially for enterprises.