Manual vs automatic installation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Finallf, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Finallf

Finallf New Member

I'm doing some tests in my lab.
    I verified that in a manual installation, and also in the tutorial, both Jailkit and pureftpd should not be installed on a pure DNS slave server.

So much so that in manual configuration, it fails the ISPConfig check and we respond N, so it doesn't force it.

But now I'm following the Multiserver tutorial, and I did exactly as described.
    But when ISPConfig asks the questions it finds Jailkit and pureftpd and configures them.
    In my tests, with manual installation, I felt that a server with just 1GB of memory and 2 processor cores are enough for the DNS server.
    But with the automatic configuration this is not true, the DNS server is always using 1GB of memory all the time, and I notice through SSH that the response to the server is very slow.

Is there something wrong here, differences in the script, for manual installation, or should I have included another argument that was omitted in the tutorial, for automatic installation?

The tutorial I'm following is this:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-multiserver-setup-debian-ubuntu/5/

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hm, the AI should have checks for --no-web when installing Jailkit and PureFTPd, but they are missing. @till if you agree that these 2 shall not be installed when --no-web is passed, I will provide a MR.

Even then, I would always recommend at least 2 GB for a production system.

ahrasis and Finallf like this.
  3. Th0m

PS: Jailkit and PureFTPd where skipped in the past, so someone must have changed something that broke it or did it on purpose...

ahrasis likes this.
  4. Finallf

Finallf New Member

Got it.
    And regarding the amount of memory, I'm testing various configurations, this won't be production yet.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't see any reason why this would have been done on purpose. Installing pure-ftpd and jailkit on systems that are not web servers makes no sense, so we should fix that.

Finallf and ahrasis like this.
  6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Compare the running processes on both systems to find out which services are run in addition to the manual setup.

Finallf and ahrasis like this.
  7. Th0m

I have found the change that broke this, no-jailkit and no-ftp were added, but they are not triggered when no-web is used. I'll create a MR to fix this.

till and ahrasis like this.
  8. Th0m