Splitting Screens for a class lab

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by JKett, Feb 17, 2024.

1. JKett

JKett New Member

What am I doing wrong? I am doing a lab for my linux class and when I open the tmux tool to create a pseudo terminal. It opens correctly and everything checks out. When I press cntrl+b immediately followed by % sign to create a new BASH window split vertically it flashes and just leaves the letter b. What does this mean? I will copy and paste the lab steps below for reference.

Step 9: At the command prompt, type tmux and press Enter to start the tmux tool. Next, type who and press Enter. Does the tmux tool turn your tty5 terminal into a pseudo terminal session?
    Step 10: Press the Ctrl+b keys and then immediately press % (percent) to create a new BASH window split horizontally. Next, press the Ctrl+b keys again and then immediately press " (double quote) to create a third BASH window split vertically.
    Step 11: Press the Ctrl+b keys and then use a keyboard arrow key (up, down, left, right) of your choice to navigate between the windows. Repeat this to navigate among all three BASH windows within your tty5 terminal.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

tmux tutorials say that should work.
    Is you keyboard layout set incorrectly? If you press the % key, does it make percent sign?
    Are tmux setting the default, no altered hotkeys or other customizations?
    If this does not help, ask your lab instructor.

3. JKett

JKett New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Ill check these items to see if it solves anything.