Globally change server_id on slave-server

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by daspaddy, Mar 2, 2024.

1. daspaddy

daspaddy New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    to attach an existing slave server to a new multiserver setup I need to change the server_id of that machine.
    The current server_id is there occupied by another server.
    Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't find a way to change that id while searching the web and this forums.
    Hopefully someone could push me in the right direction.

regards
    Patrick

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Don't do this.

Just set up a new server and migrate eventual data to it.

3. daspaddy

Thx for your reply.

Yeah, I know I should'nt do it, but in this case it's the main nameserver, while migrating that one, all ds-records have to be changed, about more than 300 entries @ the domain registries. Is there really no possibility to do it?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Probably this can be done, basically by searching in all tables in ispconfig database on that slave node that have a server_id field and change that. If its just a slave node that was set up in mirror mode, then there should be no records for it on master directly except of the server record. But there is no tested procedure for this and normally you can not attach an existing slave node to a different master system, so basically you test uncharted waters here.

5. daspaddy

Well, what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes: In the worst case scenario, the server will be screwed.
    Fortunately, the migration is complete and there is also the magic word called backup.
    I'll dig through the database and if it's easier than I thought, I'll give you feedback and share my experience with others.
    Thx for the database hint.

till likes this.
  6. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Most providers have a feature to change them all at once for cases like this. I just migrated around 1300 domains a few month back and changed all root records to the new nameservers without any hassel. The provider even offered to do it by themself.

7. daspaddy

Unfortunatly not mine. Maybe that's the price for lower costs. ;-)