double apache installation (with php)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by aolex, Oct 18, 2005.

1. aolex

aolex New Member

i have a problem . hope i can get an answer here . i am developing a control panel for hosting providers , in php ! this means a lot of problems with permissions so i decided to run the panel on a separate minimal apache installation with php and mysql , under user aolex that has permissions on system . advantages :

- you may use any apache/mysql/php version you want , panel is independent !
    - you don't have to disable safe_mode and other security measures
    - you don't need extra tools and modules for the panel to work
    - panel runs under user aolex , permissions can be easely managed
    etc. ...

however , i have a few questions ! i will use port 2484 on apache (so the 2 installations will not interfer with each other) . i will use another port for mysql (so the panel sql server is different than the "local" one) and i will use php 4.3.11 . the problem is here :

if i have 2 php installations (separate) , can i have 2 php.ini files ? how will php know wich is the good php.ini ?

please clear my mind :D
    thank you ;)

screenshots of panel :p :

Admin:
    [​IMG]

Client:
    [​IMG]

there will be a reseller level too , under dev . and the modules are a little changed (few modules more) because the screens are alpha versions :p

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You compile the location of the php.ini into PHP. Run
    Code:
    ./configure --help
    in the PHP source directory to find out about all the configuration options.

3. aolex

aolex New Member

so if i compile php from sources using that flag , and i set the php.ini in $php_dir/php.ini , than , if i copy that php installation it will always search for php.ini in the $php_dir , right ? so i can have 2 php.ini's :D

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't think you can use a variable like $php_dir. You should use a static path.