How much ram and disk do i need for the ns2 vps?

Discussion in 'General' started by ArrowChill, Apr 14, 2024.

1. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

How much ram and disk do i need for the ns2 vps?
    Im using my main vps for ns1 and I'm not sure how much ram i need for keeping the ns2 nameservers, whether it is 512mb or 1024mb, please let me know.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess 512 MB should be okay for the start. But you might want to add a swap file with, 1 - 2GB of swap then.

3. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

whats a good provider I could go to for a small budget?

4. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

That depends on where you are from and where you want to locate that VPS. Usually all the big providers have very similar deals. Check them out and see if one of them may have a promotion running that fits your needs

5. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

I've been looking, I found racknerd but they only have NA locations, my ns1 is in finland so I thought I'd get a ns2 vps in germany, if its fine to host the ns2 vps elsewhere then I can use racknerd, let me know.

6. pyte

It generaly a good idea to host ns servers at different locations. Anyways you should host them close to the userbase that is most likly using them. And be aware that hosting parts of your infrastructur in other counties may violate privacy laws depending on our county.
    You may want to choose two locations within the EU if you are located in finland. Either both in finland or 1 in finland and another one near by.

7. till

Personally, I like the Hetzner cloud. I'm not affiliated with them, I just use them for many years. They provide server locations in Finland, Germany and the US.

grasomega likes this.
  8. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

I found layer7.net doing some good yearly plans.
    I already have a pulsedmedia dedi
    Going to use those both but I'm a little confused with the installation, do I need to run the auto install on both the servers?

9. pyte

10. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

Ive read through it a lot of times, Its confusing like why is this named panel? It literally tells me it's web01 a few steps above

Attached Files:

11. pyte

Because the "Master Server" in a Multiserversetup usually is called "panel" within the community, as it's the one that hosts the frontend for ISPConfig e.g. the panel. And for each server you setup in a multiserver setup you have to specify which server is the master server the slave, in this case web01, should connect to.

12. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

Right so I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do if I want to install everything in one vps and just the ns2 on a 2nd vps. The multiserver blog doesn't explain that and it's very confusing to understand.

It explains how to install on separate vps servers but not about how to install everything in 1 vps and only the ns2 on another vps. One blog said I need to do server1 server2 but now you're saying web01 is the slave server, it's very confusing and there's no proper guide on YouTube too.

13. till

ahrasis and pyte like this.
  14. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

Hi is that all the steps? If so thank you very much. I've been reading the blogs since yesterday and I've been going nuts. Thanks a lot for telling me that.

15. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

Hello,
    this is how my file looks like on /etc/hosts
    upload_2024-4-15_15-59-20.png

its said to look like this
    upload_2024-4-15_15-59-31.png

so I'm confused, what do I change here?

do I change this?
    185.148.3.171 le1-3-171
    cuz le1-3-171 seems to be the hostname when I check /etc/hostname

16. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

17. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

don't I need to add ns2 ip in /etc/hosts of master server? if I do as per your 3 steps, then this step doesn't happen

18. pyte

The host file for all servers should follow this example

Code:
    127.0.1.1 panel.fqdn.tld panel

10.10.10.10 panel.fqdn.tld
    10.10.10.11 server02.fqdn.tld
    10.10.10.12 server03.fqdn.tld

In the top line 127.0.1.1 always set the name for the current host your setting up e.g. localhost. Make sure to provide the correct IP for all other hosts. Don't overwrite any other default entry in the hosts file and make sure that you don't set anything twice.

19. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

I just installed ispconfig, is it okay to edit the hostname after installation?

20. ArrowChill

ArrowChill New Member

ok I finished the part for server2/ns2, now do I need to do anything on the panel to setup these nameservers?