DKIM not present in sent messages

Discussion in 'General' started by thesystemist, May 28, 2024.

1. thesystemist

thesystemist New Member

Good morning everyone, our ispconfig server does not insert the signature in outgoing messages, after various tests we discovered that in the /etc/postfix/main.cf file by commenting the two lines (disable connection to Rspamd):
    #smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:11332
    #non_smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:11332
    The outgoing Dkim signature is not inserted.
    We commented out the two lines because some attachments were blocked on reception, giving us this error (milter-reject: END-OF-MESSAGE).
    How can we make DKIM coexist and solve the "milter-reject" error??
    Thanks for your support

2. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

if you do not want to use dkim signing via rspamd, you'd need to give amavis a try for a supported mailing filter/signing system.
    One could go down the rabbit hole and configure its own sign-only milter using opendkim but yeah. Better figure why the leading issue happened in the first place and fix that.
    Attachement size? Memory too low? Bug in some module? Logs?

thesystemist likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The first step is to undo the changes you made in postfix main.cf and restart postfix. You simply disabled DKIM signing, spam filtering and also antivirus scanning with that, which makes not much sense and is also no solution for your problem, at least not if you want to use this server for email sending and receiving. Then, you can log in to the Rspamd interface and investigate why the attachment was rejected.

thesystemist likes this.
  4. thesystemist

thesystemist New Member

Good morning everyone, thanks for the replies.
    We canceled the changes and restarted postfix, then I went to the log of "/var/log/mail.log":

2024-05-27T17:10:27.341656+02:00 ispconfig postfix/cleanup[123445]: 12C74958E5F: milter-reject: END-OF-MESSAGE from ec2-54-72-133-246.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com[54.72.133.246]: 5.7.1 Spam message rejected; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<ip-172-31-23-128.eu-west-1.compute.internal>

But in the Rspamd web panel I didn't find anything for these 2 emails.
    I don't know how long Rspamd keeps the log
    Attached is the Rspamd log
    Thank you so much for your great help.

Attached Files:

5. ztk.me

It is possible that other logs have more information on that.
    One can try to grep the /var/log dir for the message-id.
    Clamav is usually a culprit here. One could add debugging to postfix itself and clamav to verify.
    It is possible the milter sent a "failed" return status and the default policy did its job

milter_default_action

thesystemist likes this.
  6. till

You must click on the plus sign in front of the line that you see there to get the details why this message got a score of 13 points. If you get such a high score for a message, then this must get rejected. So you should try to find out why it got that score by examining the details which you see when clicking on the plus sign. The Rspamd interface keeps such logs for a day or two, if I remember correctly. But it might also depend on email volume.

7. ztk.me

The timestamp on the screen does not match the timestamp in the log, by far. I think it is not the same but an example, like mentioned above.

8. thesystemist

thesystemist New Member

In the meantime, thanks for the replies,
    I was able to find the oldest Rspamd log in the "/var/log/rspamd/" folder
    Below is the log of the email marked as spam (I inserted it in the attachment as an image)

I was able to figure out that the error in the offending email was "SPOOF_REPLYTO"
    Thanks again!!!

Attached Files:

ztk.me likes this.
  9. till

There were several filters matching, not SPOOF_REPLYTO only. And with such a high score, it's valid that it got rejected. So your system is working correctly, the issue is how the email was sent to you and its content also matched the self learning filter (bayes).