Before install - should there be no PHP or mysql installed?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Joel_S, May 29, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Joel_S

Joel_S New Member

Hi!
    I am about to install this, and I was wondering if it is a problem if there is php and mysql installed, or if they need to be removed first?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What this?
    If you ask about ISPConfig, installation instructions are here:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/
    Like the instructions say:
    Suitable way to get that clean and empty OS, for Debian GNU/Linux, is https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/debian-minimal-server/

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Joel_S

Joel_S New Member

Okay nice, I'll check that link!
    Maybe it needs to be really clean then..maybe not even apache is allowed.. I guess I'll find out.

4. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes, nothing installed. Just a base setup.
    May I ask if you try this on a desktop release of a linux version? This would be too much.
    server image with no gimmicks.

Otherwise you should not follow the automated approach and make sure the essential packages and the ones you want to use are installed according to the guide matching the desired OS.

It would help us *a lot* if you tell us what you are planning to do, with at least some more descriptive details :)
    Maybe even what you want to achieve with it.

5. Joel_S

Joel_S New Member

I have a digitalocean droplet, and I have just upgraded to Ubuntu v22. The droplet has no interface for managing things installed, and things like cron jobs etc, so I'm curious to try this out, see how it works, and how stable it seems. I suppose I have to make a reinstall. Maybe it requires even to delete any users I created, I will see. I haven't installed a panel like that before, so it's just to get aquainted with it, I like to have an alternative to do everything by command line, but I will also see if there will be any problems making changes by command line once it's installed.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Reinstall the droplet, it must be a empty OS, just SSH installed. You must reinstall, just uninstalling e.g. apache won't work as there might be remnants of the old config which will make the setup fail.

ahrasis likes this.
  7. Joel_S

Joel_S New Member

Okay, cool!