emails transfer-migration

Discussion in 'General' started by vassilis3, May 23, 2024.

1. vassilis3

vassilis3 Member

Hello
    I would like to transfer-migrate my old email from ispconfig3 to cPanel
    How to do this?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

May I ask why you want to switch to Cpanel?

When it comes to migrating to cPanel, you might want to contact cPanel support to help you with that and if they can provide you a migration tool for the task.

ahrasis and vassilis3 like this.
  3. vassilis3

vassilis3 Member

Hello till
    it was an easy fix for me
    I wasted a lot of time days trying to find what is wrong with the 100% CPU with no result
    I have been using it for over 17 years and at the first opportunity I will return to your company again
    Thank you all.

ahrasis and till like this.
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You could have contacted @Th0m from ISPConfig business support to look at your system directly or just reinstall your server from scratch with ISPConfig using auto-installer to fix it.

vassilis3, ahrasis and Th0m like this.
  5. Gerry F

Gerry F New Member

When I was moving clients from CPanel servers to ISPConfig servers, I used these web based services to transfer email accounts:

https://nerdiedad.com/tools/imapsync/

https://imapsync.whc.ca/

You just enter the server info for the main and destination mailboxes and wait for it to complete. Easy!

vassilis3 and ahrasis like this.
  6. MaxT

MaxT Active Member

to avoid third services to best protection of data, here there is a tutorial to transfer email accounts from Cpanel to ISPC_
    https://tecadmin.net/use-imapsync-on-ubuntu/

If there are many accounts and domains one can build this easier routine to change the Step 3 of that tutorial:
    create one text file "list1.txt" with all the email addresses and paswords of the old and new server:
    (Important: the email accounts already should exist in the new server)
    file "list1.txt":
    Code:
    [email protected];oldserverpass1;[email protected];newserverpass1
    [email protected];oldserverpass2;[email protected];newserverpass2
    [email protected];oldserverpass3;[email protected];newserverpass3
    and create one script "mtransfer.sh" to read list1.txt and transfer the messages:
    (Important: change oldserver.example.com and newserver.example.com with your servers)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Migrate email accounts
    #

{ while IFS=';' read u1 p1 u2 p2
        do
        {
            echo "$u1" | egrep "^#" ; } > /dev/null && continue # this skips commented lines in list1.txt
            echo "==== Syncing user $u1 to user $u2 ===="

imapsync --host1 oldserver.example.com --addheader --user1 "$u1" --password1 "$p1" \
                     --host2 newserver.example.com --user2 "$u2" --password2 "$p2"

echo "==== End syncing user $u1 to user $u2 ===="
            echo

done
    } < list1.txt

give perm and execute:
    Code:
    chmod 0755 mtransfer.sh
    ./mtransfer.sh

vassilis3 and ahrasis like this.
  7. thisiszeev

thisiszeev Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have always used imapsync to do the migration of emails. I have even written a Bash script that runs in the background on one of the servers and migrates each and every email account one by one. I am happy to provide you with the script and assist you with getting it going.

Regarding your CPU usage, if you have the server still running, why not let me have a gander to see what is plaguing you. I have been working is DevOps and SysAdmin for over 25 years. I am confident I can help you fix the issue. No charge.

Th0m and vassilis3 like this.