Configure MX area in DNS zone on OVH server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Pierrot727, Mar 23, 2024.

1. Pierrot727

Pierrot727 Member

Hello there,

I make an hesitation betwen posting in ispconfig or here, but i think it's more a linux question.

I did a fresh install of my Debian server (Debian12) and a fresh install of ispconfig (lastversion).
    Everything is working well.

Well, in fact not exactly : i try to configure email. Sooo i create a domain : fine, then i create an email : fine aswell. I login in roundcube to check it : works.

I try to send an email from gmail to this email : fail "554 5.7.1 : Relay access denied"

I think that it's definelty not a problem from debian or ispconfig but more the way that i fill the dns part on my ovh dedicated server : i know that dns are a bit "touchy" the less you modify it the better it works. But i think that i didn't fill properly the MX area which, as far as i know correspond to the email part.

I think that by defaut, OVH configuration route it to a park destination which means that it's filled to not have problem regarding website itself, but not usable.

Could someone could tell me how to configure it properly, for the moment i get (example i change the name) :

toto.ovh TTL=0 MX 1 mx4.mail.ovh.net.

Thanks for your help

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Replace "mx4.mail.ovh.net." with the hostname of your server. Take care that you have a dot at the end when using your server hostname like its done with the ovh mail server.

3. Pierrot727

Pierrot727 Member

Thank you very much Till :)

Now it works fine to receive it, but unfortunatly it's not working to send it ...

host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[xx.xx.xx.xx] said:
    550-5.x.xx This mail has been blocked because the sender is
    unauthenticated. 550-5.x.xx Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with
    either SPF or DKIM. 550-5.x.xx 550-5.7.xx Authentication results:
    550-5.x.xx DKIM = did not pass 550-5.7.xx SPF [toto.ovh] with
    ip: [51.77.x.x] = did not pass 550-5.x.xx 550-5.x.xx For instructions
    on setting up authentication, go to 550 5.x.xx
    (modified with x and toto.ovh for security)

I think that somethink else is missing for the sending part ...

Is there another part that MX which is dealing with sending email ?

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Like the message from GMail reads:
    Code:
    Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with
    either SPF or DKIM. 
    My signature has link to e-mal setup tutorial.

5. Pierrot727

Pierrot727 Member

Thank you Taleman, i will work on it tonight :)

6. lukafred

lukafred New Member

To properly configure MX records for your domain on OVH, you need to ensure that the MX records point to the correct mail server provided by your email hosting provider. Typically, you'll need to set the MX record's value to the hostname of the mail server, along with a priority value. For example:

toto.ovh. IN MX 10 mx4.mail.ovh.net.

Ensure that the priority value (in this case, 10) is appropriate for your setup. Lower values indicate higher priority. After updating your MX records, allow some time for the changes to propagate, and then email delivery should work properly.