How safely to disable mailman

Discussion in 'General' started by Instanerious, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Instanerious

Instanerious Member

In my system log I see many instances of the following.
    Code:
    Jul  8 15:29:46 myhost systemd[1]: Starting Mailman Master Queue Runner...
    Jul  8 15:29:46 myhost mailmanctl[319787]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    Jul  8 15:29:46 myhost mailmanctl[319787]:   File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 106, in <module>
    Jul  8 15:29:46 myhost mailmanctl[319787]:     from Mailman import mm_cfg
    Jul  8 15:29:46 myhost mailmanctl[319787]: ImportError: No module named Mailman
    Jul  8 15:29:46 myhost systemd[1]: mailman.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Jul  8 15:29:46 myhost systemd[1]: mailman.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jul  8 15:29:46 myhost systemd[1]: Failed to start Mailman Master Queue Runner.
    I don't actually need mailman since I'm not hosting any mailing lists. What's the correct procedure safely to disable mailman on my system?
    (Or, is this a sign of some genuine trouble I ought to address in some other way?)

2. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Uninstall the package

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ahrasis likes this.
  4. Instanerious

Instanerious Member

Thanks, @pyte and @till. For what it's worth, I had performed the two mailman-cleanup steps, though from the Ubuntu 20–22 guide. Somehow that resulted in very frequent occurrences of the service startup failure messages quoted in my original post.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Then the mailman must still be installed; uninstall it as recommended by @pyte.

6. Instanerious

Instanerious Member

I meant that I performed the mailman-cleanup steps you recommended, but I performed them weeks ago when I upgraded Ubuntu from 20 to 22.
    Now I have also uninstalled mailman and obviously the errors pertaining to it failing to start no longer appear in the system log, which is good.
    Thanks!

till and pyte like this.