new website -> new linux user

Discussion in 'General' started by Obelisque, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Obelisque

Obelisque New Member

Hello,

I have been using ISPConfig for several years now and am largely satisfied with it. However, there is one thing that keeps bothering me.
    I create my domains and also want to create subdomains. However, these are not called up as subfolders via redirect, but via their own directories, so I have to create the subdomains via the Domains menu item.
    This in turn creates a new Linux user (without password).

The problems that arise from this are
    • I would have to create a user (FTP or Jail) for each access (upload or SSH)
    • I would have to create an SSH user who is in the corresponding clients group -> But then I have to set the corresponding user authorizations (group authorization) for each directory first and then the ownership of the subfolders/files
    Is there a solution for this?
    Many thanks in advance :)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This behavior is needed to get a secure system where sites are separated. Otherwise, a single hacked website would affect all sites, and also, a single client could modify the sites of all clients.

But you can have multiple sites under the same user if security does not matter and you do not have multiple clients on your system by using vhost alias domains or vhost subdomains in ISPConfig. You can enable that feature under System > Interface config.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Obelisque

Obelisque New Member

Many thanks for your reply but can you elaborate further since I'm not a native english speaker and cannot find this option?
    If you would have a link to the documentation I would be more than happy :)

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig Manual:

https://www.ispconfig.org/documentation/

Chapters:

4.6.1.3 Subdomain (Vhost)
    4.6.1.5 Aliasdomain (Vhost)

You can find it in ISPConfig under System > Interface > Main config > Sites.

ahrasis likes this.