Postfix Warning: Plugin Configured but server is not configured as mail server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by chrisale, Aug 25, 2024.

1. chrisale

chrisale Member

Hi all,
    I was just logging in to update to the latest release and after doing that I am running into this warning on the web admin side:
    "Warning postfix_server_plugin: plugin is enabled but this server is not configured as a mail server."
    And postfix status at the terminal is active(exited).
    Dovecot is still active(running).
    I was troubleshooting some certificate issues in another thread but I don't think I have changed anything on the server that would have caused this?

Server: Debian 12

2. chrisale

chrisale Member

I believe this is may be a red herring as an issue. My email services seem to be responding fine (I believe it might have been a temporary ban that was causing my email client to fail connection) but postfix status still reports to be "active(exited)"

I would still like to have confirmation on this message from postfix and from the Web Admin interface being expected behaviour?

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

That is normal.
    I do not know, but I guess it shows exited because the master process starts child processes to do the work and exits itself.

ahrasis likes this.
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most likely, you disabled mail service under system > server services. Also, you might have made a mistake when running the update as root. Debian 12 requires it when you are logging in as a non root user to use "su -" or "su --login", if you would just use "su" then the root user will not find all installed software, so updates will give errors then.