CNAME or alias domain

Discussion in 'General' started by variable99, Aug 26, 2024.

1. variable99

variable99 Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have domain.tld and want that mail.domain.tld would redirect to email.otherdomain.tld. What I have done so far:
    * I created CNAME record mail.domain.tld which pointed to email.otherdomain.tld. Result: SSL warning when visiting mail.domain.tld (Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead)
    * I created alias domain with redirect to email.otherdomain.tld. Result: SSL warning when visiting mail.domain.tld (Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead)
    * I created "Auto sudomain: *." for domain.tld and added alias. Result: SSL warning when visiting mail.domain.tld (Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead)

What should I do to properly set subdomain redirect to email.otherdomain.tld without SSL warning?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You mixed up a few things here. A CNAME is a DNS record that's not related to SSL or redirections. Using a CNAME is not a redirect, its just means that the IP of the A-Record of the target is returned when you query it in DNS.

Check for which domain the certificate is issues for.

This can not work for LE.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. variable99

variable99 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ha, resolved. Removed *. from "Auto subdomain" and left alias only. And it worked!

ahrasis likes this.