CentOS 4.4 mysql5 php5 upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by hoihtah, Oct 10, 2006.

1. hoihtah

hoihtah New Member

I was wondering if anyone was able to upgrade their CentOS 4.4 server to mysql 5 & php 5.

i had centos 4.4 and ispconfig installed with older/default version. however, when i tried to yum update with centos plus repositories enabled, it errored out when i try to restart httpd, mysqld.

i'd like to use centos if possible, but i do need php5 and mysql5. should i try a different linux distro?

any help would be appreciated.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which errors do you get when you start mysql or apache? Do you get any errors in the logfiles, especially the apache error log?

3. hoihtah

hoihtah New Member

hey till,

sorry for being such a newb.
    your help would be greatly appreciated.

i would like to install centos 4.4 + ispconfig with php5 & mysql5.
    i can go through the how-to and successfully install everything, except for php5 & mysql5.

after completing ispconfig install, what steps should I take to upgrade to php5 & mysql5?

i've literally installed over a dozen times, trying to get this to work.
    last night, i even installed debian 3.1, thinking that it'd be easier to upgrade to php5 & mysql5... but i'm hitting another wall with that one.

thanks in advance for your help.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Neither debian nor Centos ship with php5 out of the box. For debian you can add a repository like backports.org to your sources.list to get php5.

The easierw ay for you might be to choose a linux distribution which ships with php5 out of the box like Ubuntu (server), Fedora Core 5 or the latest SuSE linux. There are perfect setup guides available for these linux distributions.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

6. diomet

diomet New Member

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can search for PHP5 packages like this:
    Code:
    yum search php5
    You can install the packages like this:
    Code:
    yum install package1 package2 ...