SMTP Server for Linux

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by bobsta63, Nov 6, 2006.

1. bobsta63

bobsta63 New Member

Guys,

Please can someone help me out?? I have Ubuntu 6.06 Server installed and have Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl etc.

I really want a simple way of having an SMTP Server, This will only be used for sending mail from the forums that I have installed on the server, I will not requre to recieve external emails, I just want to send email notifications from the forums I will be installing on there.

Does anyone know if there is a simple solution? What would be the best MTA to install for the job? Does anyone know the apt-get install package name etc. Is there any simple tutorials online to install an SMTP server for outgoing mail only?

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

2. jva1601

jva1601 New Member

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can simply install Postfix, and in your firewall you close port 25 so that Postfix can send emails but not receive.

4. bobsta63

bobsta63 New Member

Hi falko,

Thanks for that, I have now installed Postfix, Should it work as default out of the box? I have tried sorting out the SMTP Server settings on the Bulletin Board software that I am using I have set it to: SMTP.

Do I need to user a username & password? If so would that be a system username and password? eg. root

Should it work without a username and password when the SMTP server's address is 'localhost'?

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The default settings should be ok for your needs. Otherwise you can have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge_p4

Don't use SMTP, leave SMTP Host empty, SMTP Port is 25, leave SMTP Username and Password empty, and choose no for SMTP Secure Connection.