Hosting sites

Discussion in 'General' started by bobsta63, Nov 29, 2006.

1. bobsta63

bobsta63 New Member

Hi all,

Can you let me know if the following is correct to get ISPConfig to serve websites across the internet:-

I have fully setup ISPConfig on my Ubuntu 6.06 server using Falko's Perfect ISP Guide posted on HowtoForge. All is working perfect! - Thank you Falko :)

I now want to provide hosting services to companies and friends, Now I have the server setup and ready, I suppose I have to get a static IP address and setup a domain and point to the my IP address (as the name server?)

When a client wants to host a website and they already have the domain name, do they point there name servers (for the domain) to my IP Address? - As long as the domain is setup in ISPConfig?

Please help, Thanks in advance,

Bobby

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

yes. But generally its better to put the server in a datacenter and not run it on your own dsl / cable line.

Yes. Make sure that you have added the domain to the DNS manager as well.

I recommend to gether some experience with hosting with sites for e.g. your firends before you start to offer webhosting to companys. Hosting does not only mean to setup a server, you will have to care for the security as well as to have a good backup solution etc.

3. bobsta63

bobsta63 New Member

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Like you said... I intend to host my friends and family website to gain greater knowledge etc of web hosting.

I was thinking of putting the web server (a compaq DL320 1u Rack mount server) into Telehouse, London (A large datacentre). Then thinking... For an extra £6.00 a month (on top of my exsisting broadband) I can get 8MB Business Broadband that comes with a static IP address. - Do you highly not recommend this then?

You said DNS Manager, Can you just confirm what this is? Maybe i didnt explain my self that well earlier... For example I have a UKReg account (Domain Management and Purchase System) and they have the option to point to your own name server (Under domain configuration), So I would put the IP/Domain Name of my ISPConfig Server in there and make sure that I add the domain on ISPConfig - Is that what you mean? or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks in advance Tim.

Bobby

4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

The Telehouse is the way to go!

Problem with the "Business Broadband" account is not the dowload (8Mbit), but the upload speed (it will probably be arround 1Mbit)

At a datacenter your server will (should) be connected to a 100Mbit up/down line!

5. bobsta63

bobsta63 New Member

Thanks edge,

I have arranged colocation this morning :)

Thanks guys for all your help! :)

Regards,

Bobby