dns after installation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Daisy, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It's newbie help time. Yaay. So, this is my first linux install (FC5) and it went great and I got ispconfig installed perfectly and can access it using DNS on my windows server. however, I shut down my windows box to switch over to the new linux box and it doesn't work anymore. Does ispconfig setup a basic zone so that you can access it or do you have to do something specific? I have NS1 and NS2 defined at my ISP but I'm not sure what to do after that. With windows it was easy. Once I had NS1 and NS2 defined I created the zones on my windows machine and boom. Good to go. Now, I'm not sure if I should use BIND directly or ISPConfig or what. Can someone point me in the right direction? (Preferably not the godaddy link because I don't have those nifty kinds of features through my registrar) Thanks!

2. bobsta63

bobsta63 New Member

I too have the same problem/query. I really hope someone can help!

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Bumpety bump bump?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You must create the zones for your domains in the ISPConfig DNS-Manager.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

And once done, then BIND will be ready to take over and I can stop thd DNS service on my windows box?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

At your domain registrar you must specify your ISPConfig system as the new authoritative name server for your domains. But it might be easier to change the domain that is currently pointing to your Windows box so that it points to your ISPConfig box.

If you need the DNS just for your local network, all you have to do is make your workstations use the ISPConfig server as nameserver.