IPv6 questions

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sgrayban, Dec 10, 2006.

1. sgrayban

sgrayban New Member

Does ISPConfig support IPv6 addressing?

Such as in apache configurations or dns/bind entries?

I have searched the forum but couldn't find a answer to those questions.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig does not support IPv6 yet.

3. sgrayban

sgrayban New Member

Is there a timetable yet to support it? Our ISP is already assigning IPv6 addresses and we have our assignment already.

4. till

No, IPv6 support is not scheduled yet.

5. sgrayban

sgrayban New Member

To bad. It's one of the main things we are looking for our company.

6. till

ISPConfig is OpenSource. If someone develops IPv6 support for it, we will include it in the next release :)

7. sgrayban

sgrayban New Member

I thought about that but then you would get my free work and time to put into your paid version of the program.

I support open source but I'm not to keen on it when its used as a base for paid program.

Nice try though :)

8. till

I see you did not understand the relation between 42go and ISPConfig correctly. 42go is the older program, ISPConfig contains more and the latest features and we are releasing all our work as open source.

But nice to have someone thinking like you to participate from our work ;)

9. sgrayban

sgrayban New Member

10. till

You want to use the work of others on your server but dont want to share your own work and help to develop a open source project. Thats your good right, but dont blame us for having given away the ISPConfig sources under BSD license and actively develop them.

42goISP is a paid program, and it is the ancestor of ISPConfig. 42goISP has been written to 100% by projectfarm GmbH and not the openSource community. projektfarm GmbH released the sources of 42goISP under the BSD license and is still the lead developer and largest contributor of the ISPConfig project.

Poeple like you would never contribute to any OpenSource project because it might later been sold as part of e.g. redhat, novell, mandriva or any other partly commercial linux distribution even if the project itself is freely available.

By the way, you asked for IPv6 support, not I. If you dont need it, dont write it.

11. sgrayban

sgrayban New Member

So lets get this clear. If I add in IPv6 support and that code is merged into ISPConfig it will never be part of the paid version of 42goISP ?

After all you say the license for ISPConfig is the BSD license so that means you can't add that code into a non-bsd license product because that will violate the license agreement.

Its not people like me. I am talking strictly licensing issues here. I don't want to contribute open source code that will be licensed under the BSD only to fall into another spin off program that isn't free. That will violate my license as well.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  12. till

The BSD license allows it to use the code in free and non free software, as long as the copyright is not removed and the authors of the code where not made liable for the software. We dont accept any code for ISPconfig core that is not under the BSD license or has any additional licensing requirements. This is valid for the code that we contribute and for all code that is contributed by others.

If you dont want to contribute code under the BSD, dont do it. Its up to you to write your own IPv6 implementation and not contribute it. But you should think that you use software on your server that others have given you for free.

13. sgrayban

sgrayban New Member

Free is free...

If you are going to use the free code that developers contribute and then you take that code and put it into a non-free version that sounds like your getting free work to me.

The contributors don't get any royalties from it and the only one making the money is 42go.

I am sure this post will ruffle your feathers as well but it's not intended. I just want you to think about what you're saying here.

14. till

42go does not contain code contributed by others to the ISPConfig project, I told you that already.

Looks to me like you havent read my above posts. If you dont understand the BSD license, please have a look here:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Please write your own IPv6 implementation and keep it. When we write the IPv6 implementation for ISPConfig, we release it under the BSD license as usual.