CentOS's Perfect Setup...Help!

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by vNistelrooy, Dec 8, 2006.

1. vNistelrooy

vNistelrooy New Member

Greetings all, Im a new member.

I have a problem with my postfix installation. I followed The Perfect Setup CentOS 4.4.

Everything went ok up until the point where i have to "telnet localhost 25", i just hangs there. (Because this is to confirm that postfix can is working)

Here is my scenario:

My server has 2 NICs, eth0 connected to ADSL modem, eth1 is for our private LAN.

I realized that the guide does not show anything about "/etc/hosts" or "/etc/sysconfig/networks" i think i have to put some entries here but i dont know how. And how to configure iptables (for the 2 NICs to communicate with each other) for my users to fetch their mail from the server using outlook.

Can anyone help me out since ive been trying to set it up for 2 week but to no avail...:(

Thanks in advance..

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Telnet is not hanging, its waiting for your input. Type:

ehlo localhost

as described in the howto.

3. vNistelrooy

vNistelrooy New Member

i think its hanging coz i alredi input "ehlo localhost" but nothing came out..

also after telnet localhost 25, the output is only until "Escape character is '^]'."

there is no "220 server1.example.com ESMTP Postfix" which in my case should be "220 mydomain.com ESMTP Postfix"

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please check if you get any errors in the mail logfile in /var/log/

5. vNistelrooy

vNistelrooy New Member

hi till, now my server has no probs..thanks..i manage to troubleshoot it by referring to the errors in /var/log/maillog..now its receiving mails normally..

now i want my users to use outlook to fetch their mails from the server..the server has 2 nic..is this the way to do it?

www.howtoforge.com/nat_iptables

and can i add postfixadmin to this setup? how about squirrelmail?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Just use an IP address or FQDN in your email client that is pointing to your server.

No. Postfixadmin is for virtual Postfix users, but the tutorial you used uses system users.
    That should work.