Question about 'localhost' as Hostname

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Lil'Brudder, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Lil'Brudder

Lil'Brudder New Member

Ok. I think I've beat this subject to a bloody pulp, but, I have one last question about the hostname when initially installing Linux and how it affects ISPConfig.

If, during the Fedora Core 4 setup, when it asks to "Set the hostname manually" for the hostname I use 'server.localhost', will this cause shortterm/longterm effects on the usability of ISPConfig?

I will be hosting 4 domain names and I don't really want have an association to the server with any of them. Basically, I just want the IP address resolved to an error message and all 4 domain names to resolve the their appropriate folder.

I can't think of any side affects doing this, but I don't know how all the ISPConfig interaction works and how the email server would react, if at all, having localhost defined initially as the domain name, and server as the host. I will probably have to use one of the domains for the Name Server, so, I'll have to bend the rule just a little in that case, but MySQL is already configured to run from the internal IP address, which is kind of what started me thinking about this. I was going to use the internal IP address, but it must have a name. Will 'localhost' work?

Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You have to keep in mind that you must use the URL you specifiy during installation to access ISPConfig. If you use server.localhost you have to use http(s)://server.localhost:81 in order to access ISPConfig. With localhost this won't work from remote systems!

3. Lil'Brudder

Lil'Brudder New Member

Ah. That's a good reason indeed!

I remember now that once I didn't have the host name correct and I had serious linking issues from within ISPConfig... I can imagine now the problems accessing it from anything but the server with the domain being localhost.

Thanks falco... as always, you're a genius.