PHP Mail Function

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jva1601, Jan 4, 2007.

1. jva1601

jva1601 New Member

I have a LAMP running based on Ubuntu Server 6.10 I just found out one of my scripts is not working due to the php mail function not being enabled. I'm pretty sure I have installed most of the required packages using the Ubuntu 6.10 edgy fit how-to. I have a Mambo CMS website running without any problems which indicates that PHP5 was installed correctly.

I have checked php.ini but only saw some reference to enabling localhost mail referring to windows hosts. Do I need to have Postfix installed to make this work? I was under the impression the php mail function has its own smtp capability. If someone can offer an answer to my ignorance it would truly be appreciated.

- jva1601

2. jva1601

jva1601 New Member

Fixed

I just realized sendmail needs to be installed for php mail function to work. It appears Ubuntu Server 6.10 does not come with sendmail installed.

- jva1601

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

In fact, you can use any mail server, e.g. Sendmail, Postfix, Exim, Qmail, ...
    For compatibility reasons, the non-Sendmail servers come with a program called sendmail. :)