Network Backup System

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by DanJay, Jan 9, 2007.

1. DanJay

DanJay New Member

Hey -

I am looking to build a server that will dedicated to backing up workstations on my network. (could be about 20 workstations).

I have tried this numerous ways in windows and using ghost and have now given up. I figure there is probably an open source solution or at least an enterprise system in linux.

What I need to do is get the data from the workstations to a server. And from the server I will put the data into an archeivable format. I do not care if a client needs to reside on the workstation or if the server handles the entire operation.

Any Suggestions?

I am most comfortable using Fedora but can work through just about any GUI based distro with a little time. I welcome any and all suggestions.

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Well, do you just want to backup certain data from the workstations OR do you want to create backup images that just can be put back and the workstations work again?

3. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Have a look at 'bacula' or 'amanda'. Both have packages in various distributions. Never actually used one of those, because I have too many other items on my todo list;)

4. DanJay

DanJay New Member

I guess ultimately I would like to target speficific directories for day to day backups and maybe target the drive on a weekly or semi monthly basis.

The data itself is far more crucial, if needed, it most likely would not return to the same machine, but would be moved to a new machine.

5. sjau

DanJay:

Then I would advice you to use rsync over ssh and hardlinks... I have made a tutorial but I have meanwhile altered the scripts quite a bit... instead of fixed rotation you can easily decide how many incremental snapshot-style backups you want to keep...

I will alter the tutorial on the weekend...

Basically it will work like this:

(1) setup rsync on the backup server and the clients
    (2) make rsync access the clients without password prompt
    (3) mirror the client files (either with a directory includes list or directory excludes list [I prefer the later])
    (4) after mirroring is finished make a hardlink copy in a separate backup folder
    (5) setup a cron that will do it periodically

--> and that you can do for multiple clients also...

- The advantage of that system is that you have incremental backups, due to hardlinks they won't use as much diskspace and you will have a full backup of each cycle...
    - You can say how many days the backups shall be kept on the server before they will be deleted

6. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Have you looked at the tools? I believe both of them can do what you want. It's a matter of configuration .....:)

7. DanJay

DanJay New Member

After reading this post I realized one piece of information that I have not included....all of my workstations are windows based.....does this spark any new ideas? Sorry I did not include this information in my original post.

8. sjau

rSync could still be an option.

you can run rsync on windows with cygwin: http://www.gaztronics.net/rsync.php

It even works setting up rsync as server on the client machine - which is the recommended way - however I haven't tried that yet. I've only tried it as a client.

9. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

Well I am using bacula for a central backup, even if not with that complex idea of changing the backupfiles rather often nor in a cyclic base you described.
    But I would take a look at the manual or maybe just ask for the points of
    - changing the fileset to backup on a daily basis
    - restoring files backuped from machine A to machine B once

The other points will surely be able to solve with bacula.
    But I do not have any experience with the client for windows or its limitations.
    nevertheless I guess it is easier setting up this client than the rsync with cygwin thing. Beside that you got the control over which clients to backup from the central machine but not from the client (except you configure it that way)...

10. sjau